[SR] Chapter 1: BEST OF FRIENDS

Chapter 1

BEST OF FRIENDS

_______________________________________________________________

It was a beautiful day for a small town to celebrate their good harvest; it has been their tradition. With the sun bright so high, with smooth breeze comes along, a baby girl was born. Since then the town had their double celebration as she was well-loved by the town folks as their own. And even when they left the town, her mother always comes back with her every year to celebrate her birthday.

“We will call you Carissa means “dear one” and Talia means “dew from God”, welcome to the world Carissa Talia Sullivan”

It was also Carissa’s birthday when her grandmother Ariana gave her an old music box. Her granny asked her to keep it safe for it is her treasured possession. The music box made Carissa so happy that she even showed it to her neighbor – Alexander, the kid next door. Alexander was her childhood friend in the city where she presently lives.

“Alexander! I have something to show you.”

Alexander then opened their door and greeted Carissa

“What is it Carissa?”

“Look! An old music box”

“Wow an antique! Who gave that to you?” Alexander held it up and played it.

“It’s from my granny, she said it was so special to her” Carissa replied as she took it again from Alexander.

“You’re so lucky!”

“Yes, I love it! It will be my treasure like what granny did”

“I have some gift too Carissa!”

“What is it? What is it?”

“You’ll be surprised!”

“What is it? What is it? I can’t wait…”

“Here” Alexander kissed her on her cheeks and ran away and kept shouting happy birthday. They, then, both ran and chased each other on the hall way.

Alexander is 2 year older than Carissa that made him as a look-after of Carissa sometimes. Carissa is often left at Alexander’s loft with his mom when her mother went to work on Saturday and even slept there whenever her mother had an over time. And that makes the two became best of friends.

________________________________________________________________________

One day, when Alexander and Carissa came from school, Carissa noticed that there many strangers at their apartment lifting up their things and loaded it in a big truck. Carissa ran upstairs and keeps on shouting.

“Mom! Mom!”

“Carissa, wait! Don’t run!” Alexander shouted as he followed Carissa upstairs.

When Carissa reached at their loft, it was bare. Then, she ran to her room and found nothing. She cried and ran outside. Her mother followed her then.

“I will go after her.” Alexander followed her as Carissa’s mom nodded with tears kept falling from her eyes.

“Carissa?”

“They took my music box too!” she keeps on crying.

“Stop crying, Carissa.” Alexander hugged and comforted her.

“I promise when I grow up I’ll find it for you! Please cheer up…” Alexander wiped her tears and comforted her.

And then they went upstairs and Carissa’s mom came over and hugged her, “I’m so sorry, Honey.”

The next day, Alexander went over their loft with his mother, brought some food and helped them out. Later that day, someone came over at their loft – Carissa’s Grandmother. So, Alexander and her mother bid goodbye since Carissa was already asleep.

Carissa’s mother and her grandma sat on the carpet and talked,

“How are you Julie?”

“We’re fine Mom.”

“But, John called me and told me what happened”

“Mom, we’re alright here. And we could start all over again”

“But, dear. What about Carissa?”

Carissa, awaken by the whispers outside, listened to their conversation.

“Mom, don’t worry about us. I can make it again”

“My dear, I’m so worried about you especially to Carissa, I suggest you must leave this place, come with me. We could raise Carissa together”

“But…”

“I insist, my dear, since you don’t have any things left here, we can leave tomorrow…”

When Carissa heard them, she ran outside and cried. Her mother followed her as she went over Alexander’s loft. Rhea, Alexander’s mother, talked to Julie letting the two friends talked.

“What is happening? Julie?”

“Carissa heard us talking about leaving here.”

“You’re leaving?”

“I haven’t decided yet, but, maybe, we should because I have nothing left. I was deceived.” Julie cried.

“Oh! I’m sorry Julie for what happened. If you need some help we’re always here for you.” Rhea said as she hugged and comforted Julie.

“Thanks, Rhea.” Julie cried

On the other hand, at Alexander’s room.

“Alexander” Carissa cried

“What’s the matter Carissa?

“Mom is going to take me away from you.”

“Don’t think like that, it would be like your other birthdays. You’ll be back here by the end of the week.”

“No, grandma wants us to live with her, because, she said, we have nothing left here. What does she means?”

“I’m sorry Carissa for what had happened, I couldn’t explain to you, either.”

“But Alexander… I don’t want to leave.”

“You’ll have to, Carissa. You will have a nice home there and continue your school there.

“But I don’t want to be away from you”

“Carissa it would be the best for you stay there”

“Don’t you want me anymore?”

“Don’t think like that, you’re special to me.”

“But it seems like you want me to go.”

 “As much as I want you to stay, still, I want you to be in a good place with your family too. Don’t worry, I’ll send letter to you, pictures and I will even visit you when we grow up.” Alexander assures her with teary eyes.

“But that would be a very long time.”

 “Always remember this Carissa –--

-"distance may keep us apart and so as time, but don’t forget that you will always be my best friend, nothing would ever break our bond.”

__________________________________________________________________________♥