Chapter Twenty Seven: Fearless

Start from the beginning

They were inside the store now; the two of them were browsing though the rings at the front of the shop.

"What do you think of this one?" Mike asked, tapping the glass with his finger.

Things had changed for him now too. Autumn was four months pregnant, a bump already beginning to show through her normal clothes, her cravings were in full throes now. Everything from late night pickle cravings to chocolate pudding and apple sauce. Each and every day he woke up next to her, kissed her lips and then kissed her small, growing stomach. He whispered I love you to her and the baby because it was important to him that they knew how he felt. He hadn't said it enough sometimes.

The assistant had the ring out now, showing both him and Speedle. The other man looked over it shaking his head as his brow furrowed, analysing it.

"The cut's awful, it looks like someone went at it with a jack hammer." Speedle remarked darkly, before pulling a face at the assistant.

Mike raised his eyebrows before turning to the next set of rings in the glass booth.

"Hearts...Just no." Speedle input, cringing.

Mike tilted his head at the other man, trying not to smirk at the assistant's discomfort over having her wears criticized.

He'd brought Speedle along because he man was a fountain of strange and oddly useful knowledge, Speedle was going to be helpful on this endeavour. Yet he was blunter than usual, there was no smile, just a sullen, sulkiness that seemed to manifest itself into his features.

"Do you need a time out?" Mike retorted raising his eyebrows.

Speedle sighed, running a hand through his hair before erupting.

"Daniel had his first day of preschool today, and it did not go well. They had to pry him off my leg, and then I felt like I was abandoning him. You just have seen his little face pressed up the glass. It was disturbing." Speedle went quiet again.

It was clear that Speedle still had issues regarding his son's welfare. He was protective of the child and he was finding fatherhood hard. All these new emotions he had to deal with were freaking him out.

"I'm sure he'll come around, Pre School is fun you get to play all day and it's probably better for his social skills." Mike pointed out.

"That's exactly what Kate said." Tim informed him moodily.

"You're being too hard on yourself." Mike added, something shiny catching his eye, he turned his head towards it.

"You have all these to look forward to you know." Tim pointed out, following Mike's gaze.

"And I am anticipating every single moment of it." Mike rubbed his hands together gleefully.

Speed rolled his eyes as the assistant pulled out the set of rings Mike pointed to. She held one up for Mike to look at. He took it from her, examining in his hands. Speedle could tell from the other man's face he liked it.

"You want me to take a look?" Speedle asked, his voice low.

Mike obliged, handing over the ring. Speed took it gently, lifting it to the light.

"The cushion cut is excellent. Two carats, the setting is nice." He commented before handing the silver circle back to Mike. "It's a wonderful piece."

"I'm glad it's passed your tests." Mike responded weighing the ring in his hand before adding his own approval. "It feels right."

He raised his eyes to Speed expecting him to criticize. He was surprised when the other man shrugged.

"When it feels right, it feels right." Speed responded.