A Series of Unfortunate Events

Start from the beginning

Kiba isn't acting like himself. He's calmer, quieter. I think he's doing it for my sake because he knows I'm not in the mood for jokes. I won't be in the mood for much of anything until Sasuke is found alive and okay.

Sakura keeps asking questions and I'm growing impatient with her. I keep snapping. I don't want to talk about Sasuke, but he seems to be the only thing she wants to talk about. She wants to find him as much as everyone else, but there isn't a damn thing she can do so I wish she'd just stop nagging me for information. I'm not going to tell her a damn fucking thing.

Ah home, my parents are being cautious. It's like they're afraid I'll explode into a volatile mess and melt into the floor. I can almost feel it – that familiar anger in the pit of my stomach. It's been boiling there since Sasuke disappeared. I swear, one more stupid comment and hell will break loose. I think my parents understand this, because my mom softly says, "Naruto, honey... Why don't you stay home for the next couple days?"

"Okay," I murmur.

I don't want to hurt people. Really, I don't... but I don't know if I'll be able to control myself if my anger gets the best of me. It hasn't happened in a long time, but it still happens. It starts like a panic attack, but it doesn't finish like one. I'll feel like I can't breathe. I'll choke. I'll gasp. Then I'll black out. I've hurt people because of it. I don't want it to happen again.

  ||XxXx|| 

On Friday, I sleep in late and wake up to the phone ringing. I don't bother answering it and a moment later, it stops. My mom must've got it. I hear her coming up the stairs and then my door creaks open.

"Naruto, they found Sasuke," she tells me, relief evident in her face.

I jump out of bed, suddenly feeling wide awake. "Is he okay?" I ask. "Where was he?"

"They found him last night," she says. "He's home now. You should go see him."

I rub my hands across my face, nodding. "Yeah... yeah, I should."

I don't bother getting changed out of my pajamas or showering. I go downstairs, slip my shoes on, and walk down the street. When I arrive at the Uchiha house, I walk right in. "Hello?" I call.

Mikoto appears from behind the corner a moment later. "Oh, Naruto," she says softly. "How are you?"

"Fine, "I say quickly and carelessly. "Where's Sasuke?"

"In his room," she informs with a look of concern. "We... we got him tested. He needed medical attention. He wasn't himself... but still..." She pauses, shaking her head. She lets out a quiet sigh, wiping her wet eyes. "He needed stitches. He was hurt so badly... but he wanted to come home."

Tested...?

"I'm sorry," I say softly, because there's nothing in the world I can say. Fuck, I hate seeing people cry.

She just shakes her head, letting out a breath. "He's upstairs... Go see him. Perhaps you'll be able to get him to say more than one word."

I nod my head lightly before turning and going up the stairs. By the time I reach the top, Sasuke is standing in his doorway expectantly.

He is black and blue all over. He's wearing a tank and a pair of cotton quarter length sweatpants, looking wholeheartedly careless about the fact that his wounds are visible. They are all over his arms and his face. He has a black eye and bruised cheekbone. There are hickies on his neck – none from me. His bangs are pinned atop his head and out of the way, revealing a stitched up cut on his forehead. "Naruto," he greets me with crossed arms. "What's that look for?"