Chapter 27 Trial and error

Start from the beginning

Iason inclined his head. "It's what I am here for, my lady, to see to your safety. That included presumptuous suitors." A small smile appeared on his lips. "Though I am certain you could have gotten rid of him yourself." He would have enjoyed watching that slap she had mentioned. The past few days that he had served as her guard he had discovered she was quite unusual. There was a mischievous streak in her that wasn't very lady-like, and had already proven to be a trial to him too, but he could appreciate it nonetheless. He had allowed himself to be less formal around her than he had been at the start, though he never forgot his place.

Vara answered his smile. "You are probably right. Though he didn't seem the type to be easily discouraged. Besides, I don't think the king would be very pleased with me if I upset the Horos family. Cicero's father owns many ships and we need those ships to guard our ocean borders."

Iason nodded in understanding. It made sense. An engagement between the king's daughter and the Horos heir would ensure lord Horos' support. Prince Cyrus had married lady Ariane for political reasons. It was only expected lady Vara do the same. "Will he make the announcement soon?" he asked. He wondered if he would be relieved from his duties as lady Vara's guard once she was married. Would he be sent back to the front with the other soldiers?

Vara eyed him amused. "I am not engaged."

Iason blinked surprised. "Forgive me, my lady, I assumed."

"Vara," Vara corrected him, "it is true that I will marry, but it won't be for a while and no arrangements have been made. I only met with lord Cicero today because of an agreement." She forced out a smile. "Though I suppose he is not bad company." She stopped in front of a large set of doors and knocked. A servant allowed them entrance and Vara went to greet lord Caius and lady Eurydice.

Iason bowed deeply for the former king and his wife and took up position at the wall.

Eurydice smiled warmly and hugged Vara tightly. "So you have finally decided to visit us," she scolded lightly, but there was a twinkle in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Vara apologized, "I have been wanting to visit."

Eurydice smiled. "Don't feel guilty, child, I know Ophelia was here and that you had a meeting with young Cicero."

Caius cleared his throat and looked at Vara sternly. "I do hope you are not considering wedding him, Vara. I don't know what Marcos was thinking, allowing him to see you. It is no secret that he likes to gamble. Word has spread that he already gambled away his inheritance. His father is not pleased." Caius moved a piece in the lantruculi board in front of him. "He is trying to marry off his son into a wealthy family. What better candidate than the king's daughter?"

Vara tilted her head. "I have said nothing about marrying Cicero. Though I don't mind his company. He is... entertaining."

Eurydice let out a sad sigh. "I now you are in a hurry to marry and escape the palace, Vara, but don't rush into things. There is still time." She took Vara's hand and patted it. "You are like my own grandchild. I want you to be happy." She sighed. "If only Titus had lived. Then you and Cyrus would have been free to marry."

"But he did not live," Vara stated calmly, "and Cyrus will be king. He has a duty towards the kingdom. I know this."

At his spot against the wall, Iason had stiffened at the course of the conversation. Of course he had heard rumors concerning prince Cyrus and lady Vara, but he had never paid them much attention. He didn't like listening to gossip. But now... were the rumors actually true?

Caius had noticed Iason's reaction and narrowed his eyes at the young man. "You!" he called, "not a word of what is being said here leaves this room. You hear me, soldier? If I hear anything repeated I will have your head. Do I make myself clear?"