Chapter Twenty - not so perfect, perfect husbands

Chapter Twenty

Ella:

Walking into the bedroom to an empty bed; my eyebrow raising as I wonder where he could have gone. Hearing rustling on the baby monitor picking it up off the shelf as I hear Billies voice.

"Hey you, your getting big now aren't ya, three months eh where's the time go ."

Trying not to giggle too loud sitting on the bed continuing to listen.

"Y'know your moms a great girl...but your dad's far better; kidding in all seriousness when your a big lad you look after her cause I'm watching you, I know these things you see..."

A long pause before he continues "And if you ever decide to get a girl pregnant make sure her dad likes you cause trust me you'll never hear the end of it y'know."

Hearing a slight yawn and Billie chuckle "Am I boring you dude?" Muffled by more rustling and banging. "You got time before that nap for a song." A gurgle in response as a gentle melody began playing he says softly "This is your mums favourite so don't tell her I played it without out her." A 'shh' sound filling the room laying snuggled under his jacket.

- The lightning express from the depot so grand
Had started out on its way
All of the passengers that were on board
Seemed to be happy and gay..."

Listening along feeling a dampness on my cheek realising I was crying; feeling a little stupid, wiping it away as he stands in the doorway "What's up numpty?"

"Nothing just...I love you."

He looks down at my hands which played with the monitor; he smiles hugging me "I think you enjoyed it more than him; I think I bored him or it was your taste in music." Pulling him down on the bed and wriggling myself under his arm "And I'll have you know that I have my music taste is very open."

Feeling his chest move as he laughs a knock at the door interrupting the blissful moment. Dragging myself up to answer it Billie shouting from the banister "Don't answer it, they'll go away!"

"That wasn't a big hint we were in!"

Laughing as I open the door a serious looking father staring me in the face. "Uh hey dad uhm come in."

"Is he here?"

"Yeah, why?"

Because I want you both to see this, following him into the kitchen; popping the kettle on. "So what is it," I say as he pulls out a file.

"You can't marry him Ella."

Sighing "Not this again, you can't stop me."

"Can't I? Look at this he's been charged with vandalism and god knows what else is on that file!"

"He'd never do that; your making this all up!"

Urging me to read on rolling my eyes deciding to just go along with it; snatching it out of his grip"This is a load of bull-." My heart hitting the floor as my eyes scanned the paper; looking up his eyes having a cold stare, I stutter "H-h-he wouldn't do that... he'd never hurt anyone not me or Joey."

Throwing the papers on the table as Billie burst in "You called?" Looking him in the eyes "Is it true?..." Silence falling "is it?!"

"What are talking about?"

His eyes breaking away and down on to the sheets of paper sprawled on the table; I felt like I was losing my mind. How could such a perfect day turn upside down in seconds.