Chapter 18

{Kaelynn}

JayBear: just wanted to make sure you got home safely. please let me know.

I'd been rereading this message over and over. I got so frustrated that I tossed my phone on the table. That was the last time he bothered to communicate with me. Don't even know why he would cared enough to even text me that day.

I flopped down on the sofa with tears rolling down my face. Even though I need to work on my homework, I've been having trouble focusing on it.

It had been a few days ever since he blew up at me at the dealership. He offered to still take me to school, but I declined. I've been driving Mikayla and I there. Not that I want to be bothered with her half the time.

Jahmir is rare. He was raised with values that a lot of kids these days lack. He was taught to be nice and respectful to everyone. Because of that, he was able to see past my biggest insecurity.

Although I didn't want to hear it, everything he told me was correct. He was only trying to help me by telling me the truth about myself.

My weight matters the most to me. Not everyone else. Not even the ones who pick on me. In reality, I know that they have nothing against me personally. They just need something to talk about to feel better about their own insecurities. Everyone has insecurities. Some of the people they love dearly are most likely overweight.

Even with knowing what I know, my feelings still get hurt. I'm only human. I'm not perfect. Some people have tough skin. They can take anything that anyone says. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people.

I was about to turn the tv on, but the noise behind me caught my attention. Kayla and mom were just getting home. They had a bunch of bags in their hands.

I ignored their conversation and turned the tv on. As I flipped through the channels, Kayla came over to me. She placed a bag of Zaxby's on the table.

"Mom got your favorite."

"I don't even need to eat." I opened my binder. "Can't you see I'm busy anyway."

"You are seriously getting on my nerves now."

She has never been overweight a day in her life. She could never even begin to know what I go through on a daily basis.

"Well nobody told you to offer me food or to say shit at all to me for that matter."

"YOU ARE SO FUCKING SELFISH!" She got in my face. "I can't stand the person that you've become. Mom, Mr. John, and I seen Jahmir on his fucking hands and knees begging you to do better for yourself. And what did you do? You chose to be rude to him yet again!"

"What goes on between Jahmir and I is none of your business."

"Oh that's the part you want to comment on? Maybe because you know I'm right. Do you know how hard it is to find a good friend like Jahmir?"

She's the one who said she only has friends because they're ugly and make her look good. She doesn't really give a damn about substance within her friends. Or anything for that matter. She is just trying to make me feel worse than I already do. I'm tired of this good girl act that she is trying to put on. I know she only really cares about herself.

"Maybe if you stop hanging out with airheads and niggas who just want to fuck your narrow ass, then maybe you would find good friends."

Her hand rose, and before I could stop her, her hand clapped against my cheek. I pushed her on the sofa then slapped her right back. She kicked me in the stomach which pissed me off even worse. My hands squeezed her neck harder each time she kicked me.

"STOP THIS! KAELYNN, MIKAYLA, STOP!"

Mom came rushing downstairs when she heard us.

"L.. l... et... meee... g.. g... go!" Mikayla struggled to get that out.

"Don't fucking kick me anymore!"

I let her go then mom pulled me back and made me sit in a chair. She then went over to Mikayla and attempted to console her.

"SHE IS THE ONE WHO HIT ME FIRST AND YOU'RE PUTTING HER BEFORE ME?!"

"Look at her neck Kaelynn!" I could see the red marks from where my nails digged into her skin. "You are really out of control Kaelynn."

"SHE. HIT. ME. FIRST!"

It's as if that means nothing to her. Mikayla threw the first hit. She kicked me, so I started choking her. I could have done way worse things to her. I'm tired of her being the favorite all the damn time. What about me? I need love and care too. Just because I've turned eighteen doesn't mean she had to take all her love away.

"So that means choke out a fifteen year old? You girls have no business fighting with each other. That's not the way to solve our problems."

"You are really insane!" Mikayla was finally able to get her breathing under control. "You don't deserve anybody. I wish you would just go off and be alone. Nobody wants you around because of your fucking attitude!"

I tried to come at her again, but mom got in the way. Wow. Even with her being pregnant, she's willing to get in the middle of us. She's willing to protect Mikayla no matter what. She had never been that way for me. Not even when I needed her the most.

"You're going to let her talk to me like that?"

"THIS IS HOW YOU ALWAYS TALK TO EVERYONE! THAT'S WHY NOBODY WANTS TO DEAL WITH YOUR ASS!"

Mom rubbed her belly and deeply exhaled.

"Kaelynn, go to your room."

"You're taking her side?"

"I didn't say that, did I? Go to your room! We will talk once you calm down."

"Don't even bother. Thanks for choosing yet another person over me."

With tears in my eyes, I went up to my room and slammed the door.