A smile danced on my lips as I stared at the drawing, hung up on the wall. It was the first thing I saw, every day, when I came home. Xavier had drawn a photo of me, the night of the school dance. The night he gave me the promise ring. I wandered over to the drawing, which he had also painted, and ran my fingers down it.

(A/N: Credit to the illustrator. Artist unknown).

After much convincing on my behalf, Xavier finally pursued his dream of drawing

After much convincing on my behalf, Xavier finally pursued his dream of drawing. He studied, at the same time I did and has become an Art teacher at the local high school. He gets to do what he loves every day and now has the opportunity to teach others.

Suddenly, the door of our apartment swung open and Xavier strolled in, sliding his bag off his shoulder.

"Hey babe," he called, kicking off his shoes. "How did the ad go?"

"Good," I replied as he came over and pressed his lips to my cheek. "It was boring, going over the same scene, but it turned out good."

"You're going to be famous now," he teased, offering me his trademark, boyish smirk.

"Yeah, totally," I said with an eye roll.

"I'm taking you out to dinner tonight," he announced as he reaching into the fridge and withdrew a cold water. "To celebrate being famous, and all."

"Aw, you're sweet," I grinned. "Where are we going to go?"

"I made a reservation at the new Italian place."

"Oh!" I smiled as he came over and began to massage my shoulders. "I've heard good things about that place."

I let out a sigh as his fingers massaged my skin.

"Me too," he murmured, before wrapping his arms around my waist.

I leaned back into him, loving the secure feeling I instantly felt, with his arms around me.

"How was your day?" I asked him, my eyes closing.

"Long," he replied. "Not nearly as exciting as yours."

I pivoted on the spot and pressed my lips to his softly. "Do you want me to start getting ready?"

"You look ready now."

"They did do my make up," I agreed. "Like?"

"Love." he smiled, his eyes drinking in my features.

After deciding it was too early for dinner, we made the executive decision to sit down on the lounge and do nothing for an hour or so. It was nice to just sit down for a while and relax.

For dinner, I chose to wear a black dress that gathered tightly at the waist. I wore tall heels with it and left my hair in the pony tail, as it still looked neat and tidy. I slid into the passenger seat and we shortly arrived down town.

"After you," Xavier said as he opened the door for me.

"And some say chivalry is dead," I sighed theatrically as I walked through, earning a smirk from Xavier.

He placed his hand on the small of my back as we got closer to the front counter.

"We have a reservation for two," Xavier announced.

The girl gave him a knowing smirk, before leading us to our table.

My stomach fell. Why did she look at him like that?

The colour drained from my face as she gave him a wink, before sauntering off.

I sat heavily down on my chair and glared at Xavier.

He had some explaining to do.

***

"Are you seriously mad?"

"Why was she looking at you like that?" I huffed, playing with my food, having lost my appetite.

He groaned. "It was nothing. I don't even know her. Can we please just enjoy our meal? We're here to celebrate your achievement of being on T.V!"

"Yeah," I muttered, sticking my fork aggressively through the carrot.

"You make things so difficult," he sighed.

He suddenly pushed his chair back.

"Just explain to me what that was about!" I argued.

"I should have known this wouldn't go smoothly. Your temper always gets in the middle of it."

"In the middle of what?"

"But that's one of the many things I love about you."

"In the middle of what?" I pressed.

Xavier dropped down to one knee. My eyes bulged out of my head as I stared down at him.

"This," he said simply.

I blinked slowly, trying to comprehend the fact that Xavier was on his knee.

"Faith, I once made a promise to you."

My eyes began to burn with unshed tears as I stared down into the face of the man that I loved. He smiled up at me.

"I promised you, that I would marry you."

I held my breath as he withdrew a small, velvet box from the inside of his jacket. I bit my lip as I stared at it. He silently opened it. I gasped, staring at the stunning and dazzling engagement ring that shined up at me.

"Will you do me the honour, of becoming my wife?"

A grin broke out on my face, making all thoughts of my anger or paranoia, disappearing. He must have told the woman what his plans were.

There was no doubt in my mind. This is what I wanted.

He is what I wanted.

"Yes."

-----------------------

Thank you for reading! As always, please comment, vote, add to your public reading lists and share if you enjoyed this story! <3