Chapter Six

------------------

"Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible and suddenly, you are doing the impossible."  - Francis of Assisi.

Dedication: Aaruasrani for the awesome cover on the side!

Recap:

"You won't win." He breathed, his eyes trained on my lips while mine were trained on his chest.

My own was rapidly rising, my breath hitched in my throat. Uneasily, my tongue snaked out, moistening my bottom lip. Xavier inched toward me and a rush of exhilaration filled me at the thought of his lips against mine. As he moved closer, his grip on my arms slackened. Of course I used this to my advantage.

I didn't expect to punch him in the face.

-----------------------

"Shit!"

Xavier rolled off of me with a dramatic groan. I blinked at the ceiling, confused for a moment. The throbbing of my hand effectively snapped me back to reality. I just punched Xavier. After he tried to kiss me. Does this mean the physical attraction I feel towards him is mutual? Or am I just another girl to add to his list, of what I assume, to be many.

His string of cuss words brought me out of my internal dilemma. I glanced over at him, where he was nursing his swelling nose. His eyes were narrowed in my direction. Wincing, Xavier removed his hand. Blood was trickling down his upper lip. I wrinkled my nose at him, clambering to my feet hastily.

"What the hell was that for?" He barked, too getting to his feet.

His fists were clenched tightly, struggling to remain calm. His cheeks were reddening by the second and the veins in his arms were protruding out of his skin. Tantalisingly slow, he ran his tongue across his teeth, never breaking eye contact with me.

"Were you not teaching me to fight?" I asked, the sarcasm dripping from each word. "Oops, my mistake."

"You have serious issues." He growled, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. "Serious mental health issues."

I shrugged lightly, wiping my hands on my tightly. "Yes, no, maybe so."

"You're going to regret that."

"Oh, I'm shaking." I retorted with an exaggerated eye roll. Grabbing my towel which was draped over the treadmill, I slung it over my shoulder and turned my back to him, striding from the room. I didn't stop until I was in my bedroom with the door locked securely behind me.

I doubled over, leaning onto my knees. My hands were shaking, not due to his threat though. Why was I so affected by this? I've hooked up with people before and after Jacob, remaining emotionless. Even kissing Jacob the other night didn't have the stomach-clenching affect it used to. Why did I have such mixed feelings about Xavier? It would have been nothing but a kiss to him, if I had let it happen. He's that type of guy. I couldn't let myself get close to him like that. I wasn't going to get hurt again.

Wiping my clammy skin against the towel, a long sigh escaped me. I need a distraction. Just as I was getting ready to shower, my phone began blaring. An excited grin spread across my face as my screen read Alex.

"Hi Chook," he sang and I actually jumped up and down on the spot at the sound of his voice. Alex, was the third musketeer to mine and Brooklyn's posse. He has been over in Amsterdam for the last two months and I have missed him so much. I completely spaced that he was coming back this week. I haven't heard from him for a while and with everything going on, the thought had completely slipped my mind. "How are ya'?"