Chapter Thirty Nine

-----------------

Dedication: AdventurousA for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"I mean it," I warned, poking my fork at him.

"I promise," he said, with a smirk, his hand across his chest.

"Good."

I leaned back onto my hand as I stared at the boy in front of me. We were both flawed. We both had baggage.

But we were stronger together, than not.

And I'm glad we were smart enough to realise that.

-----------------

"Are you going to just sit there or are you going to help?"

He always dressed well. That's one of the things I really liked about Xavier. His clothes were clean and fit him perfectly. His tall, lean body was sculptured with just enough muscle to make a girl's heart throb. His slightly-off angle jaw, although irked me at first, made him look adorable. He turned to me and I sighed. I had missed eye goggling him.

"Hello? Earth of Faith?"

"Huh?" I asked, coming out of my trance-like state.

"Are you going to help or not?" he asked with a huff as he set down another box.

"I kind of like watching you do it," I confessed with a shrug.

He rolled his eyes. "Of course you do."

"I'm going to go get some lemonade," I grinned, pushing myself up from the floor.

Xavier was moving back in. We had spent long enough a part. I missed our nightly encounters, our arguments about what to watch on T.V and the hot, make-out and not only make-out sessions in the shower each morning.

Cracking both the cans of lemonade I grabbed from the fridge, I made my way back out to Xavier's room. He wiped the back of his hand across his brow, before taking a long swig. I scrunched up my face.

"It's too fizzy to drink that much in one go."

"Not when you're thirsty," he argued. "Not that you should be."

I stuck my tongue out at him. I felt unmotivated today. Sprawling out on a chair, beside the pool was where I'd rather be.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Turning away from Xavier, I jogged towards the door.

When I swung it open, I didn't expect a bawling Brooklyn to be there.

My mouth fell open slightly as I stared at her. She had mascara running down her cheeks, her nose was bright red and her eyes were puffy.

She held up a jar of nutella and a packet of popcorn.

"I just broke up with Derek," she choked out. "And if you say anything like 'I told you so', I'm going to punch you."

I opened my mouth to reply, but she continued.

"And if you say anything about me not being able to land a punch on you or something, so help me God, I will punch you."

Clamping my lips shut, I stepped back and motioned her through.

Even though I wanted to jump up and down and say the exact things she just told me not to say.

***

"Who was at the door?" Xavier asked, his voice strained as he continued to rearrange his room to how it once was.