Chapter Twenty Three

-------------------

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later." - Og Mandino.

Dedication: Sassyreads for the character icon! Thank you!

Recap:

Slowly, I turned and stared into the jade-green eyes of a boy I'd grown to despise, pretty quickly. Which is strange, because my initial reaction is to reach out and kiss him. Until I took a second look.

My throat felt dry. I grimaced, staring in horror as he had our school uniform on.

"Chase."

--------------------

"What the hell are you doing here?" I sneered, staring up at Xavier's evil twin brother distastefully. Well, that's what I refer to him as anyway.

"Happy to see me?" he gleamed, giving me a toothy smile.

My eyes narrowed into slits.

"I guess not," he smirked, shrugging. "Bummer. Thought we were going to be study buddies."

"Er- Faith, what's going on?" Olivia asked, staring in between us both.

"Oh, nothing," Chase grinned charismatically before I could say anything. "Faith and I just have some catching up to do. Where's my baby bro?"

"Aren't you twins?" Olivia pushed, staring up at him through her eyelashes.

She was like a mosquito and I wanted to swat at her so she would piss off.

"Yes, but I'm two minutes older," he smirked playfully down to her. "Therefore, making me the big bad brother."

I narrowed my eyes at his flirtatious attitude. "Okay, that's enough."

"Hmm?" he asked, swivelling his eyes to me.

"You've made your point. You can crawl back into whatever hole you came out of now."

"Oh Faith," he chuckled, gripping my shoulder. I flinched, stepping back as if he burned me. His eyes darkened slightly at the gesture, but his charming smile never wavered. "I don't plan on going anywhere, anytime soon."

"Yeah, we'll see about that."

"So, Chase..." Olivia started.

I turned to her, glowering. "Oliva. Back off."

My voice was like a whip, the snap was that harsh. Her eyes popped out of their sockets as she stared at me, her mouth falling open.

"Now, now, girls," Chase teased. "I know I'm good looking - some may say more handsome than Xavier, but there's no need to fight over me."

I scoffed, ignoring the hurt look on Olivia's face. "Get over yourself."

He just grinned.

Scowling, I grabbed Brooklyn's hand and stormed away from him, pulling Brooklyn with me like she was a rag doll.

"Charming, isn't he?" Brooklyn muttered.

"Yeah. A little too charming."

"What do you think he's doing here?" she asked, biting her lip.

She then winced as my nails began to bite into her flesh.

I didn't stop tugging her until we had successfully made it around the corner. I stopped and realised my hands were trembling slightly. She frowned at me, before rubbing her hand.

"To get Xavier to go back to working for his step father, I'm guessing."

"How does joining our school achieve that?" she asked, her eyebrows raised.