Chapter Twenty Nine

------------------

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Dedication: Technostargazer for the amazing cover! Thank you so much!

Recap:

"Xavier, we can't leave him!" I yelled, pulling out of his grip.

"Like hell we can't, let's go!" he urged, grabbing me once more.

Powerless to pull my hand away, I tumbled after him. I glanced back at Chase's limp body, sprawled across the floor.

I was surprised to find myself hoping he was okay.

-----------------

My chest was burning.

I really should have stopped drinking, before deciding to run.

Considering the police showed up at the party, it left us little to no options. Therefore, we decided to get the hell out of there. Especially considering there was now a possibly unconscious teenager there, who had been assaulted.

"You know everyone saw you did it," I panted as we slowed to a stop, my eyes considerably blurry.

Xavier ignored me as he peered through the gap of two tree branches.

"It's only going to take one person to say it was you." I pointed out, still breathless. "What are we going to do?"

"We?" he asked, finally turning to face me. "Is it we, now?"

"Huh?"

"As in me and you?"

"Yes?" I asked, giving him a confused look.

"Not you and Chase?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course not."

"Really, really looked like it."

"You know he's been trying to pull something like this ever since he first arrived at school," I snapped, planting my hands on my hips. "How could you possibly think I would do that to you? With him of all people."

"I didn't, until you hit me, to protect him."

"You weren't stopping!" I seethed, my rage boiling over the edge. "There was blood everywhere. He was completely motionless. He looked unconscious and you did not stop."

"He kissed you."

"I know and I understand that you wanted to hurt him. And you did. And then you took it too far. What if you seriously hurt him, Xavier?"

He shrugged. "He deserved what he got."

"Have you seen the news lately? It's full of kids king-hitting others and killing people. It's not that hard to do. One wrong fall and he could have died!"

"You're being really dramatic."

"I am not!" I screamed, my cheeks burning. "You are not taking this seriously. Could you live with the fact that you killed your brother?"

Xavier fell silent.

"Hey!" a voice suddenly yelled and a porch light flickered on. "Mind moving your lover's quarrel along? It's 4am and some people are trying to sleep!"

"Sorry," I called out, all the while my heart was slamming inside my chest. Glaring at Xavier, I began to stalk in the direction of my house. "Come on."

"Sorry," he muttered.

"Don't worry about it. Let's just get home."

I dragged my feet the whole way, beginning to feel exhausted. The hangover headache was beginning to set in and my feet ached from having danced so much. I just wanted to crawl into bed.