Chapter Forty

-----------------

Dedication: Spaghetti1334 for the cute cover! Thank you! Also, thank you for supporting me through votes and comments. It means a lot! xx

Recap:

"For fuck sake," I ground out, my voice twisting into a far more venomous tone. "I want nothing to do with either of you. You're trash. Stay the fuck out of my life, and I'll do the same."

"Xavier-"

I hung up and threw my phone to the ground. Running my hands over my face roughly, I slid to my knees.

No matter how far I run, or how much I pretend I didn't play part in his sick game as a child, I couldn't escape.

I'm a dead man walking.

We're not too far away from the end of Faithless... Is there anything you guys would like to see happen before I conclude Faith and Xavier's tale? Please let me know - I wrote this story for YOU. If there are any scenes or anything you'd like to see, please let me know! And as always, thanks for being awesome and reading this story! It means a lot to me. :-)

-----------------

Brooklyn and I were on a date.

It was a nice date. We got take-away Thai and sat by the river. It was really pretty. I think it took her mind off the fact that she broke up with Derek. It was hard for me to understand why she was so upset. In my eyes, it wasn't a big loss. But she loved him and they had spent a long time together. Therefore, as the best friend, it's my duty to help her move past this and get better.

Which is exactly what I'm doing.

"It's weird not texting him," she commented, playing with her fork. "I always text him."

I rolled my eyes. "I know. It's annoying."

"Shut up."

"It is going to be weird. You're used to having him with you all the time, but you'll soon adapt to not having him there, too. It just takes time."

She let out a sigh. "I know. I just thought that breaking up with him, I would feel... free? I don't know." She pushed around the food in the container as she shrugged. "I just thought I would feel different."

"Are you regretting it?"

She was silent for a moment. "No. I don't regret it."

"Well, that's the main thing," I replied, shoving another forkful into my mouth.

"I know I'd never hear the end of it if I went back to him," she teased, nudging my arm.

"Damn right."

She let out a soft laugh and I smiled. I hadn't heard her laugh all day - it was weird. She laughed at literally everything, unamusing things and all. And usually slapped everything in her vicinity whilst she was doing so. It was weird to hang out with her and not go home with bruises and aching sides.

"I'm kind of tired. I might head home."

"You alright?" I asked softly, placing the lid on my container, before turning to face her.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just tired."

"Okay, I'll drive you home."

After packing up and tossing it into the boot of my car, I drove Brooklyn to her house.

"Thanks for tonight. It was nice to get out of the house."

"Any time," I smiled, before leaning over and hugging her tightly. "Get some rest. I'll call you tomorrow."