11

Connie peers her eyes open slowly and blinks at the bright lights. It takes a minute for Connie to recollect herself and see she's in the hospital. Her heart begins to race as her head whips around the room. The bright lights shining down on her, the IV in her arms, the papery gown draped across her, the monitors beeping...it's all too familiar for Connie and she hates it.

She tries to raise her fingers, but they can barely move and she feels like crying. Cherry quickly rushes to her side cooing that Connie's alright, but Connie just wants to get out of this room.

As if Cherry reads her mind, she hands her a notebook and a pen. Connie scribbles down on her right hand.

GET ME OUT

Cherry's eyes widen. "Connie it's okay."

Connie shakes her head feeling her heart race again.

"Tell me what's wrong."

Connie opens her mouth to scream, but nothing comes out. Hot tears roll down Connie's cheek and Cherry frowns. Looking at Connie cry makes her have the urge to too. Instead, she strokes her hair and kisses her forehead. Cherry's warm lips pressed against Connie's forehead calms her down a bit. She sniffs and Cherry wipes away her tears.

"You're awake," Dr. Harris walks in with a clipboard. "You passed out earlier, how are you feeling?"

Connie puts her hand to her lips then flattens her palm out facing down indicating 'bad'. Dr. Harris nods and walks up to her bedside.

"Well we did some tests to make sure you don't have a concussion, and thankfully you don't. Though I'm afraid you have another problem."

Connie stares at Dr. Harris waiting for her to tell her the bad news. Cherry scoots closer to Connie and holds her hand tighter.

"Your lungs are in pretty bad shape so I'm assuming you've been smoking?"

Connie nods.

"The tests show that you've been smoking quite a while."

Connie nods again.

Dr. Harris glances at Cherry who quickly shakes her head. Cherry won't talk for Connie if she doesn't want her too. Dr. Harris understands this as Cherry remains silent so she looks back at Connie.

"Perhaps you can use our machine to help communicate?"

Connie shrugs and Dr. Harris walks out of the room to get the machine. Connie has never used that machine so she doesn't know how to use it, let alone want to use it. Though this is the only way she could really communicate with her doctor without Cherry's help.

Dr. Harris comes back and shows Connie exactly how to use machine, and Connie nods following along and remembering every step. Dr. Harris switches onto the female voice and steps back for Connie to use it.

"Hi," a robotic female voice that sounds nothing like Connie speaks out.

Dr. Harris and Cherry smile, but Connie absolutely hates it. It's not her voice, but it'll do.

"Alright, now that we have that settled. We can talk about your scans." Dr. Harris props them up. "Like I said your lungs are not in a healthy condition. I suggest you change your diet to only eating healthy for six months to improve your body and most importantly, quit smoking."

Connie lets out a small sigh. She doesn't want to quite smoking because that's her only way to cope, but the more Connie looks at the scans and repeats the doctors words, the more she wants to get better. She doesn't want to end up like her mom, except with smoking.

"I have a couple of groups you can attend too. I can get them for you. Also, if you want we can get you a voice box and alternate the machine so it can sound a little more like you."

As soon as Dr. Harris leaves Cherry beams in Connie's face hugging her.

"Connie! This is great! It seems like almost everything is falling into place. You found out a way to get better so you won't be in danger and you got this machine that can talk for you! Oh! I should bring Adam in here--"

"Cherry."

Cherry looks at Connie and gives a small smile. "See, you can even interrupt me."

"This is not me. This is not my voice-"

"Dr. Harris said she can alternate it. You two can work on it together. She hasn't said much about it."

Connie listens to Cherry push. Why does she want this so bad for her anyways? Is it a problem that she's mute? Connie debates to say something, but the sparkle in Cherry's eyes make her reconsider. The doctor comes back in with a couple of group suggestions and without realizing, Connie asks about the voice box. Dr. Harris seems thrilled explaining how it's a new device they just got to the hospital, and how she would love to work with Connie to get one just for her; costless for her because she's the first.

Connie is still iffy about it, but Cherry continuously encourages Connie to come back to try a voice box. So she does, and Dr. Harris signs up an appointment for Connie in two weeks.