9

Connie opens her mouth, but nothing comes out. Instead she begins shaking and Cherry quickly rushes to her side helping her sit down.

"It's okay," Cherry moves a dark strand of hair from Connie's face, "you don't have to tell me."

Connie's whole body is now trembling and she feels furious with not only her mom, but with herself. She wishes she would tell Cherry, to actually talk, but she can't. She's mad that her mother took these and she doesn't understand why. These types of drugs what got Connie in this situation in the first place. The car crash, her parents, the people, the drugs...it all plays through her mind on repeat.

Her mom overdosed and she doesn't know if she'll wake up.

I am sorry you have to be here.

Cherry shakes her head and quickly grabs Connie's hand to squeeze it. "Don't be sorry, I want help you."

Cherry sounds distressed and Connie could see the fear in her icy blue eyes. She cocks her head to the side not understanding why she's acting like this. Why is she so caring towards her mother? Connie doesn't want to ask any questions because the last time she tried to find out about Cherry without her telling Connie, she was left her with no answers and being upset.

"Connie Shepherd?" A tall woman with dark features calls out searching the waiting room.

Connie and Cherry both stand up and walk hand and hand towards the woman. She glances between the two and opens her mouth, but Cherry interrupts.

"This is Connie, but she can't speak so I'm talking for her."

Connie feels a pang in her chest and gets a surge of anger. She lets go of Cherry's hand and crosses her arms staring at the doctor. She clears her throat glancing at Connie.

"Hi Connie, I'm Dr. Harris," the doctor pauses sighing before continuing. "I'm sorry to inform you that your mother overdosed. She's being checked out right now, and we think she'll make it."

Tears brim the sides of Connie's eyes and she wishes she could speak, but instead she moves her fingers and Cherry watches.

What do you mean you think she will make it?

Cherry repeats out loud and Dr. Harris nods slowly.

"The other doctors don't have anything else to tell me right now except that they are are trying very hard to keep your mother alive. Once I know more, I will tell you."

"Thank you," Cherry says and walks back with Connie.

They sit back down in the uncomfortable chairs and Connie crosses her arms over her chest tightly.

"Connie what's wrong? Your mom might be okay, she isn't dead yet."

Connie sighs. I am not upset about that.

Cherry leans in holding out her hands for Connie, but Connie doesn't budge. She just stares at Cherry who doesn't understand what's wrong.

"Connie please talk--"

That is the thing! Connie forcefully moves her fingers in front of Cherry's face. I cannot talk! You did all the talking for me!

"What did you except me to do? I don't think Dr. Harris understands sign language. Of course I had to talk for you."

You did not have to do anything for me. I am my own person.

"Connie, I'm trying to help you--"

I am not some helpless puppy! By now tears stream down Connie's face. I want to talk by myself!

Cherry bites the inside of her tongue from telling Connie that she can't. She is just trying to help, and she knows Connie wants to talk on her own, but she just can't.

Why would my mother do this too me?

Cherry opens her mouth and then closes it. She just met Connie and her mom, she doesn't know their relationship but from everything she's seen, she can relate. Cherry practically had to go through the whole thing once before. Except she had to take care of her deaf brother as well, and explain to him how his dear mommy is a drug addict.

"Connie, I know this is hard for you."

Do you even understand?

"I actually do," Cherry's voice breaks. "My mom--she was a drug addict too."

Connie parts her lips and her shoulders that were once tense, slouched down.