1

Connie puffs out another air of smoke making the air dense and foggy. She holds the cigarette in between her index and middle finger as she grabs the pen with her other hand. She holds the the sketchbook down with her forearm letting her fingers and the side of her arm glide across the page of black and grey streaks.

"Connie!" Her mother, Ms. Shepherd, calls barging into the room.

Connie glances up from her art and let's her arm with the cigarette hang out from the open window. Connie's golden eyes follow her mother as she steps closer and she awaits on what she has to say.

"Have you been smoking?"

Connie holds up the cigarette from the window and her mother sighs while Connie shrugs in return. Connie knows her mother doesn't like it when she smokes, but what she doesn't understand is that it helps her daughter in ways no one else or nothing else can. Connie can't explain this to her mother because she is mute. Always will be since that day.

Her mother sighs shaking her head in disappointment. She wishes her daughter would quit her habit, but she highly doubts that because Connie has an addictive personality. Ms. Shepherd should know, she has an addictive personality too.

"Do you want me to get you the usual at Panera?"

Connie nods and her mother turns on her heel to leave.

"Love you honey! Also don't forget the therapy session is tomorrow!" She calls out as she shuts the door, but she knows Connie won't answer.

Connie will never answer.