“You could’ve been supportive of her, of us.”

“Supportive of you? I didn’t even know about it until a few hours ago because you kept it a secret!”

“Hey, she did that to protect you.”

“Sure she did.” I scoffed. “A lot of good that did. Just get out of here Josh. Don’t you have a girlfriend to comfort?”

“When are you going to grow up and realize that there are other people in this world besides you?”

“I will right after you do.” I replied pointing to the door. Josh gave out a puff of frustration and stormed out the door, just as he stormed in. I clenched my fists in anger and threw a pillow at the now closed door. Taking deep breaths I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and threw on a pair of short black soffe shorts and a neon pink tank top. After slipping on a pair on flip-flops and grabbing my phone I waltzed out the door and down the hallway until I reached the corner room. I knocked on the door until someone answered. They looked slightly surprised to see me.

“Paige! I thought you said you weren’t coming.”  Nia exclaimed nervously.

“I changed my mind.” I answered nonchalantly, slipping past her and into the crowded hotel room. Immediately, my eyes locked with the blonde sitting one of the beds next to Kendall. I tried to keep my utmost composure when I stated, “You didn’t tell me she was here.”

Nia started to stumble on her words, obviously panicked, until Chloe blurted out, “I just stopped by a minute ago. I was actually going now, so I’ll see everyone tomorrow.” Chloe hopped off the bed and made a beeline for the door.

“Chloe stay. We’re just about to start the movie.” Kendall pleaded, patting the spot on the bed that Chloe previously sat on. Chloe looked at me once more, as if she was asking me for permission or waiting for my input. I continued to give her a stone cold glare, until she finally darted her eyes away.

I could see her eyes starting to water, as she said, “No, I’m really tired anyways. I’m just going to leave.”  She continued wading through the group of girls until she was directly next to me. “Paige, maybe we could talk.” I stared at her. “I’m not saying right now, but maybe tomorrow at the competition or on the way back or something.” She trailed on meekly. No words left my lips. I just stared. “Right.” She said, before rushing out the door. Just as the door closed I thought I heard a faint sob, but at that point it didn’t matter to me.

Nia broke the long, awkward silence by saying, “Um, are you alright Paige?”

I quickly shook my head, in order to wake myself up and exclaimed, “Of course I am! Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well-“ Nia started, but I cut her off.

“Are we going to watch that movie or what? Mackenzie, press play already.” Mackenzie looked around the room nervously, but did as she was told and began the movie. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me as I settled myself against the headboard of one of the beds, but I ignored them and focused on the tiny computer screen that was playing Tangled. No one sang the opening song, not even Mackenzie and that was one of her favorites. We all sat there, silently. Once or twice I thought about leaving. They would be having fun if it weren’t for me. But, I decided to be selfish and stay. Josh would’ve said, “I told you so. You are just as selfish as I thought you were.” but I didn’t care. I didn’t want to be alone tonight.

“I found myself chuckling under my breath when Rapunzel’s step-mom started singing “Mother Knows Best”. The other girls noticed and started to ease up, smiling and laughing together as the song progressed. Everything seemed to be normal again, at least normal to them. If only they knew my laugh was far from sincerity. It had an underlying tone of bitterness. A month ago I would’ve said that the song was one hilarious joke. If there was one thing Abby ever taught us it was that our mothers never knew best. However, now it changed and maybe my mother was right all along, about everything. 

About an hour into the movie I heard the door slowly creak open. “Hello girls. Is everyone still awake?” Holly asked us, slipping herself through the small opening she created for herself. We all nodded in unison. “Ziegler girls, your mom is in your room and Paige, your mom’s in your room. They both want you to get into bed quickly so you can be rested for the competition tomorrow. Kendall, I think your mom’s still out with Christi, but you can sleep here with Nia if you want.”

“Sure!” Kendall exclaimed, lying down on top of Nia’s bed. Maddie, Mackenzie and I silently filed out of Nia and Holly’s room.

Before we could close the door behind us Holly warned, “Don’t make too much noise when you reach your rooms. Your moms are very tired. We had a busy night.” Maddie and I gave a look to each other, but Mackenzie didn’t catch on. We both knew what Holly meant when she said “tired”, but thought it better not to comment.

“Night Paige.” Maddie and Mackenzie said in a sleepy unison, dragging themselves to their hotel door. I walked a little farther down the hall, until I reached my own door. I started looking for the key until I realized that I had left it in my room. I started tapping the door, then knocking, then slamming my fist. No one answered. I realized I was going to have to get one from the downstairs receptionist office, so I started walking further down the hall and towards the elevators. As I got closer I started to hear muffled voices, but then they fell silent. When I turned the corner I realized why. There, in the corner next to elevators, was Josh with his arms around her waist and his lips against hers. I cleared my throat rather loudly to get their attention.

Her eyes immediately bugged out. “Paige, I can-“

“Josh, where’s your room key?”

“Why?”

“Paige, can we please talk.”

“I need to get into the room.” I exclaimed, keeping my eyes completely fixated on Josh.”

“Paige, talk to me.”

“Today, Josh.” I demanded, holding my hand out. He started to fish through his shorts pockets.

“Please.”

“Thank you.” I stated, once the card was placed in my hand.

“Paige, just say something to me! Anything!” I heard the sobs, but I wasn’t acknowledging them. It was like they were going in one ear and out the other. When I walked away I felt like a robot, moving my mechanical legs against the carpet, Left foot, right foot. Left foot, right foot. Left foot, right foot. All until I reached the door and slid the key into the mechanism to unlock it. At first I was heading towards my bed, but my attention averted to my mom, who was starting to stir in her bed.

“Mom?” I whispered in her direction. She squirmed a bit, but it took a minute or two before she finally began to flutter her eyes.

“Yes Paige?” She mumbled.

“I just wanted to see if you were awake.”

“Well I am now.” She sat up against her headboard and started rubbing her temples with her forefinger.

“Okay, well good night then.”

“Wait a minute.” She started examining my face. “Are you alright Paige?” When I didn’t answer straight away she pulled me gently onto her bed and asked, “What’s the matter?”

“You were right about the Lukasiaks, mom.” I stated.

She pulled me in close are started stroking my hair. “What happened Paige?” I just rested my head against her chest and stayed silent. “Oh Paige, don’t cry” my mother cooed. But, that was just it.

I wasn’t crying. I hadn’t shed a singled tear.