Welcome the Baby

June 28th, 2001.

Steph felt incredibly uncomfortable. She knew the baby was due any day, but she didn't think the day would be today. Mark and Steph were home, because Steph wanted to be home when she gave birth, and Mark looked relived when Steph asked him if they could do so. Right now, Paul and Shane were holding down the fort at the live shows--until Mark could join them again--and they'd spent the last three weeks at home.

Steph stood to get a drink and all of a sudden she felt a 'pop' and her pants were soaked.

"Oh my God...Now?! Mark...MARK!" Steph yelled.

Her husband came running in and realized with the puddle, that Steph's water had broken.

"Do you want an ambulance?" Mark asked.

"Just drive me there--aaah, damn it--you can call our parents once we get there--fff...."

Mark nodded and Steph very gently walked towards the door, Mark had left to start the car and Steph just worried about getting herself into the car. Mark returned and picked her up.

"Thanks...Ah." Steph said.

"Anytime." Mark replied.

Steph realized he was pale as a ghost, and that fazed her a little. Mark set her down in the passengers seat and drove to the hospital.

* * *

Shane McMahon stood in the locker room barking out orders when his cellphone rang.

"Alright, shut it, boys." Shane said before answering. "Hello?"

"Shane, it's Mark." the person on the other end replied.

"Mark? What's wrong? Oh my God, Steph, is she OK?" Shane asked.

"Her water broke. I have to call our parents...How long before you can get out here?" Mark replied.

"I can be there early tomorrow, what about Mom?" Shane asked.

"I don't know...Shane I have to go. Just...When you get here, call me. OK? I'll have my phone." Mark said.

"Bye." Shane replied.

Shane started shaking and wondered who was more nervous. Him or Mark.

"Guys! Steph's water broke!" Shane hollered.

A cheer went up and Glen exited the showers dressed as Kane.

"Do you want to leave now? Go get your mother?" Glen asked.

"I have to help Paul--"

"I'll be just fine, Shane." Paul said, appearing in the locker room doorway. "Go."

"Thank you!" Shane exclaimed.

He ran out with the locker room watching.

* * *

Mark had just gotten word that Shane and Linda were on their way. He knew his parents were on the way as well. Betty and Frank were to arrive first, since they lived only two hours away. But that didn't calm his nerves. He stood in an abandoned waiting room, and just paced. He hoped it was as quick and painless as possible for Steph, and he hoped the baby would survive...Stop it. He told himself, he was worrying too much. Not enough...He sat down and covered his face with his hands. Then he realized, he had one more person to call.

* * *

Anna was busy working on some paperwork when the office phone rang. She picked it up with some level of annoyance, the day had been busy and it was late.