1

• – Jack's POV – •

I couldn't see anything in the blackness surrounding me.

I felt a head leaned against my shoulder contently, and a boney hand grabbing my knee.

How did we get here?

How long had we been here?

"Cry..." I murmured lowly and weakly, reaching over to shake my younger brother's shoulder.

A yawn followed by an indistinguishable mumble escaped from his lips. "Huh?"

"I think someone's coming... Just shut up, okay? Be quiet..."

The silent pitter-patter that I was once hearing had escalated to frighteningly loud, powerful footsteps.

Cry and I started patting each other rapidly in the darkness, attempting to grip one another's bodies as the fear factor set in rather swiftly.

A fluorescent light filled the tiny space we were trapped in.

Once my eyes had adjusted to the unbearable brightness, I studied my surroundings briefly and realized that we were in an empty cell-like room, with concrete flooring and walls to match.

There was no cozy wooden door in front of us, but instead, a barred, heavily secured gate.

Cry and I were stunned and silent as we stared up at the large group of strangers that were crowded around, ridiculing us and laughing amongst themselves.

And suddenly, a distinct voice spoke over everyone else's excited, yet inappropriate and heartless chatter.

"Well... Aren't you going to say anything?"

I tilted my head up slightly to speak up for myself and for my brother.

My simple blue eyes met creamy, deep brown eyes. "Who are you?"

"Your new best friend. What's your name, Irish?"

"What's your name?" I spat out, placing a protective arm out in front of Cry as I spoke.

"Mark." The brown-eyed male admitted, kneeling down in front of the iron gate as he studied our appearances. "Now, what are your names?"

I was speechless.

The group of thugs outside of the cell wore bandanas around their faces to conceal their identities, along with mismatched caps and heavy clothing, including the Mark guy I was speaking to.

"My name is Jack. That's Cry." I replied shakily, still staring directly at the stranger with obvious intimidation visible in my eyes.

"Don't worry, Jack. We're going to take care of you both." Mark stated in a rather kind, convincing tone.

"Let us go." I started to pleade, still maintaining eye contact with my captor as I whimpered out my words. "Please."

"I hope this changes you." Mark randomly commented as he suddenly stood. "For the better."

...

Later that day, after Cry and I had been abandoned in the cell, I had fallen fast asleep on the cold concrete flooring.

Cry was asleep on top of me, warm and comfortable while I damaged my body by lying on flat the ground.

I wasn't even sure if it was day or night.

Either way, I was now awake.

I heard footsteps once again, and proceeded to wake Cry by shaking his shoulder roughly. "They're back!"