[Chapter Thirty Nine]

Start from the beginning

"Now you just need to figure out which clothes you liked out of this bunch! I'm going to get changed, so be quick, I'm getting hungry," she confesses, with a sad look on her face.

"I'll try," I say but she's already walking into another changing booth. I pick up each item of clothing and try to untangle it before deciding if I want it or not. Most of the dresses are thrown out of the change room and into the pile Lucy made before – I feel bad for whoever has to clean up this mess!

As Lucy comes charging out of the change room, I'm already changed into my regular clothing and the items I'm going to purchase are neatly folded on the bench. After little thought, I've decided on two black figure hugging dresses and a maroon shirt with beading work that frame the top section of the shirt.

Yes, I just about tried on everything in their store and I'm settling for three items. Pro shopper right here. I can't understand why Lucy was taking so long getting changed, maybe she couldn't tear her eyes from the mirror again.

"Come on Riley, move your butt!" she demands with a stern look on her face. I roll my eyes and shake my head at her.

"I'll be out soon. I just need to check through this pile once more, make sure I'm satisfied with it," I say.

She huffs and then reluctantly nods her head, "Quick, tummy can't last much longer." With a quick pat to her stomach, she walks away. When she's out of sight, I dash into her stall and grab the purple dress she likes and hide it in between my clothing before emerging into the main section of the store.

Both Hannah and Lucy are standing near the exit talking while my mother is still browsing through the clothes on the rack. I sneak up behind her and poke her shoulder. I watch her jump back and place a hand over her heart.

"You scared me!" she says.

"That was the point." I wink.

"Are you almost finished looking? Because Lucy is about to start protesting her human rights if we don't go get food soon." Mom glances at the deep red dress in front of her once more before turning to face me.

"I'm ready to go," she says.

"Do you like the dress?" I ask.

She goes to shake her head, but the longing look in her dark brown eyes suggests otherwise.

"You should get it, you would look stunning!" Her hand picks up the tag and then points out the price on it.

"It's out of your father's price range." She laughs.

"It's not out of mine. Grab the dress, it's my gift to you," I tell her. Mom tries to shake her head and walk away, but I stand my ground and give her the do-as-I-say look which is enough to sway her into picking up the dress.

"This is certainly a feeling I'm not going to get used to. My own daughter buying me expensive clothing, usually it's the other way around," she mumbles to herself.

"Fame isn't something I thought I would get used to, but it's something I've become to accept – you'll learn to do that same." I take the dress off her and place the items on the counter to be processed.

The shorty lady behind the counter is quick to scan the items and carefully place them in a sleek plastic bag. I hand over my bank card before Mom can protest the amount of money I just spent. With my new album coming out tonight and the ticket sales from my tour, money is like a continuous flow of water in a river. I should get to splash a bit of it here and there.

Besides, my mother is the type to reuse something until the object becomes incapable of serving its purpose. There is no fear in buy it and it's the same with my clothes. I'll happily wear them until I'm not able, and when I can't I'm sure someone else will benefit from receiving the pre-loved clothes. I think people would really love my clothes – Sienna's clothes at least.

Once the clothes are paid for, the lady shoves the receipt in the bag and then holds it up. Mom is quick to swoop in and pinch the bag from her hands first.

"I can at least carry the bag," she says as her grip tightens around the handle.

"I'm not going to object to that." I pocket my purse and run to catch up with Lucy and Hannah. Before the four of us can make it out of the door a familiar face walks in, and I'm frozen to the spot.

"Riley, what are you doing here?" Marina asks with a surprised, but happy look on her face.

"I'm shopping with my family." I grin.

"That's lovely!" she smiles, but it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"Uhm, this is my sister Hannah." I point to an awkward short brown headed girl. "And this is Lucy, my best friend." Lucy stands there, happily waving at her. "And this is my wonderful Mom, Marline," I say as she comes to stand next to me.

"This is Marina, her husband owns the hotel. When I was in New York last, Dad took me on the business dinner he had, and we also went shopping the day after," I explain.

"It's lovely to meet you," Marina says with a bright smile. "Riley is just a delight for company," she compliments and it sends a tiny blush to my cheeks.

"Thanks! I really enjoyed our shopping trip. Marina knows some of the best shops in NY." From the corner of my eyes, I see Hannah's ears prick up at the mentioning of shops.

"You should join us shopping," Mom says.

"I would hate to impose." The excitement bubbling behind her eyes suggest that she would be eternally grateful, and to be frank any kind of normal activities in my life are welcome!

"Honestly, you wouldn't be!" I say, willing her to believe me.

"Perhaps if you're free tonight, we could have dinner?" The soft, vulnerable look on her frail face is enough for me to nod my head quickly. But at that same moment I realize I have my concert tonight, and it's not something I can wriggle out of. But the sudden happy glow on her face is too much to disappoint. I can't decline now...

"My husband is out of town tonight..." Mom begins to say, but a small hand gesture from Marina cuts her off.

"My husband will just have to deal with a female dominated table. I've sat through plenty of his business meals." She laughs.

"What about poor Nathan? I'm sure he has better things to do than dine with a bunch of girls," I try to say, but she just shakes it off with ease.

"The young Alex Bray is still in town, perhaps he wouldn't mind accompanying us to dinner as well," Marina suggest.

My stomach begins to churn, "Dinner sounds lovely; we'll meet in lobby at seven?" Marina nods her head happily.

"I'll let you finish shopping." The four of us smile and exchange pleasant goodbyes before dashing out of the shop before I can stuff anything else up.

"I'm so dead, what am I supposed to do?"

"Say no," Hannah spits.

"But she looks so happy at the idea." I'll just have to make dinner work with my plans.

"Let's not make any hasty moves before we have the chance to think things through. But before that happens, let's get lunch. Riley, you need to be in rehearsal in thirty minutes," Mom says.

How do mothers always seem to have the answer to problems before we do?

"Eating food sounds really good," Lucy agrees.

"I need food too!" Hannah groans.

"Come on, I think I saw a nice restaurant this way," Mom says. The three of us follow her down, like a trio of hungry ducklings.

Walking down the crowded busy pathway is hard – people's shoulder slip past mine, and on the occasion someone roughly bumps into my small frame. But at the same time, there is this calming feeling of being able to get lost in a crowd of people. For weeks, I'd forgotten what it was like to be nobody in search of something.

But in less than thirty minutes, I'll be a somebody, a somebody that's not even the slightest bit me and that shakes me to the core. I could really get lost in Sienna if I'm not careful.

The scariest thing is – I think I already am her.

u