The Littlest Lost Girl

Requested by fulltimeoncer . Thank you so much for the support! 😄

"Now Lucy, aim your arrow at the tree." Peter held my arm straight to set me up. I loved when my brother would teach me how to fight. I wasn't much good at it, but he was often so busy that it would be the only time I'd get to talk to him.

"But Peter," I sighed. "What if I miss? I don't want to mess up again." I sunk down into my small green jacket.

"Lucy," Peter grinned and crouched down next to me. "This takes practice, no one ever gets it right the first time."

"But I've already done this a hundred times!" I whined and crossed my arms in a sulk. "I'll never be as good as you or the other boys."

"C'mon, just try it again." He picked up the arrow with a green feathered tail and positioned it in my bow. "Now, aim your arrow at the white dot on the tree."

"But-"

"Lucy, just try it!"

"Ok..." I held my arms steady and aimed as best I could at the tree. I took a breath and as I released my breath, I released the arrow. The arrow flew forward but instead of missing the target, (as that was its original destination) it slowed almost magically and plunged into the tree ahead. "Peter!" I squealed. "I got it! I got it!"

"Very good." He chuckled. Peter lowered his hand from in front of him and received my joyous hug. I didn't know it at the time, but he'd enchanted the arrow to hit the target every time.

"I wanna try it again!" I quickly picked up another arrow, one without the green tail, and aimed it at the tree.

"Wait, Lucy!" Before my brother could stop me I had released the arrow sending it barreling toward the tree in front of me. A squirrel began to crawl down the tree just as I fired the arrow and was now headed for the tiny creature.

"No!" I screamed. Without thinking I dropped my bow and waved my hands to deter the arrow's course. Amazingly, my magic moved the arrow away from the small animal, but in the process I had turned it around and sent it flying toward me.

"LUCY!" Peter jumped in front of me and blocked the swift arrow. He wasn't quick enough to stop it with his magic, so it ended up plunging into his left shoulder. Peter dropped to his knees and writhed in pain, clutching the arrow sticking out from his shoulder.

"Oh no, Peter!" I ran about and started to scream, "HELP! PETER'S HURT, HELP!"

"What's going on?" A band of lost boys emerged from the bushes a few minutes later and I explained to them what had happened. As I panicked, I didn't notice that my brother fell unconscious from all the pain. One of the lost boys had pointed this out and rallied the others to carry him back to camp to tend to his wounds.

"Peter," I held his hand as the boys carried him back to camp over their heads. They marched together quickly, which made it increasingly harder to keep my breath as my legs were much shorter than theirs'.

Once we had reached camp, Peter was brought into his tent to rest. I helped him into bed and frantically searched through the cabinet for any potions to help soothe his wound. I couldn't find anything, all the labels were written in magic runes only he could read. I gave up on this and grabbed some water and fabric to clean the leaves out of the laceration. Although I was quite squeamish, I knew I had to also remove the arrow for risk of infection.

I couldn't bring myself to do it, instead I had his second in command, Felix, remove it. He was much more skilled at tending to wounds anyway...
-----
About an hour later, when Felix emerged from the tent he began to talk with Peter's third in command, Edmund. Edmund was much younger than both Peter and Felix but he was quite skilled in hunting. He was picked up off the streets from when he was a child assassin back in London. His cunning strategy and technique quickly made him popular with Peter when he arrived a few months ago. I hid behind a tree as they spoke to listen about Peter's status.