chapter 21: romeo and juliet

~day of the masked ball~
luna's pov//
today was the big day. it was the dance. my first dance to be exact. i was so nervous. my dress was hanging in my closet and my mask was on my desk. i got up and shut my alarm. i got rest and met martinus and marcus downstairs. my nose was still a little bruised but it's okay i could cover it up. i was excited for this dance actually. when i walked down the stairs i felt eyes on me. when i looked up they were martinus' not marcus. after him kicking me in the nose and all he has been acting super strange. like he has some secret. did he do something? martinus greeted me with a smile and marcus just sat there.

luna-"good morning!"

martinus-"big day!"

luna-"i know i'm so excited. marcus are you?"

marcus-"mhm."

he just sat there and shrugged. he looked like he was upset. i went over to him and gave him a hug. i kissed his cheek which felt a little wet. tears? i hope not. i would hate to think about marcus crying. it made me sad to think about it. he took my hands but then let go. did he not like me anymore or something. i just walked away. i headed for the door and left. i didn't listen to what martinus was trying to say. i would just walk alone today, it felt weird being alone. i always had the boys by my side and it felt weird to walk alone. like old times...i just put my hood up and walked with my head down. i didn't need to be noticed.

martinus pov//
ahh today was the mask ball. i came downstairs and marcus came shortly after. he looked like hell. i don't know what's wrong with him the past few days. he has been spending more time alone and one night he went out with some friends and after that he was acting all weird. i tried to ask him about it but he would say. weird. luna came downstairs. the way her ponytail bounced when she took a step, how her smile crept on her face when she was happy, her deep blue eyes like the ocean. she was happy because tonight was the dance. she came downstairs all chipper. she hugged me and then marcus. he didn't seem happy to be near her. i think that made her upset.

luna-"i know i'm so excited. marcus are you?"

marcus-"mhm."

a frown took over her smile like aliens invading a planet. it made her sad to see marcus not interested in her. i would never lose interest in her. she grabbed her bag and before i got the chance to say something she was out the door. i didn't want to see her go.

martinus-"marcus what was that about? you have been acting so weird these past few days! it's like you hate luna now or something. what happened that night at the party? you won't talk about it, you are locked in your room, every time luna kisses you you look guilty! please talk to me marcus! i don't want secrets between us."

marcus-"martinus that night at the party...i-i

i went over to him and sat next to him and he looked like he was about to start crying. i put a hand on his shoulder.

martinus-"marcus what happened?"

marcus-"i-i kissed someone else. i got drunk that night and i didn't know what was happening. next thing i knew i was in the closet kissing some other girl. i don't remember who that's the problem. i woke up the next morning with a headache and i realized what had happened. i don't know how to tell luna and i don't know what to do. i feel so guilty."

he was in tears now. marcus never cries and he has so far only cried over luna. i can't believe he kissed someone else...and he doesn't even know who! how could that be possible.

martinus-"marcus it's okay. you didn't realize. just please be careful with the drinking and all. next time please call me when you are in a situation like this."