47 | farewells and candidness

He'll do anything to make someone happy even if it means sacrificing some of his own.

FALL BREEZES nip the tips of their noses and slip through layers of wool and cotton jackets and sweaters

FALL BREEZES nip the tips of their noses and slip through layers of wool and cotton jackets and sweaters. Throngs of citizens, foreign and local, shuffle around them as they linger near the airport's entrance. Blaring horns and distant yelling threaten to whisk away their final words to each other.

"I don't want you to leave," Ria whispers. She shivers and runs her hands across the sides of Ashton's face to lean his forehead against hers. "How did we end up here so fast?"

He tilts his head to peck her lips. "I don't know." Gloved hands find their way around her waist and he tugs her closer until their bodies are aligned. "Just know that I won't be long. It's just a few days and then I'm back. Meanwhile, make sure no one kills each other, please."

She chuckles and threads her fingers through his pale hair. "I'll do my best."

Ashton leans back and regret contorts his handsome features, stealing the air from her lungs. He shakes his head and apologizes like he has been for days now. "I know none of us are Vivian's biggest fans right now. I just want to thank you for being understanding and helping out."

"We don't just abandon a person in danger. Even if she is your ex who's still in love with you."

Ashton smiles. "Speaking of, I have something very important to tell you."

Her heart trips and stutters in her chest. She struggles to find a response as a million possibilities scramble around her mind. "R-really? What is it?"

He places a kiss on the corner of her mouth then inches close enough for his lips brush against her ear. She shivers as he whispers, "It's a surprise. You'll have to wait until I get back."

"What? No fair!" she exclaims and slaps the flaps of his jacket. "Why are you torturing me?"

He grins. "It'll be worth the wait. Trust me."

"Ashton-"

"Nonono." He holds a cold finger to her pouting lips. "You can wait a few days before I tell you."

"Ugh," she deflates and folds her arms like a child. "Fine."

A boyish grin stretches across his pink lips and he wiggles his light brows. "You're cute when you're angry."

She huffs and rolls her eyes, blaming the blush on her cheeks on the cold. "Just hurry up and leave so you can come back."

His deep chuckle teases the air, releasing fogged clouds in her face. "Will do." Cyan eyes drift over her head and he looks at where Daniel is waiting by his car on the curb.

"How long am I going to have to wait for this love scene to end?" he calls, reddish lips pulling up slightly.

"Until you get your ass over here and say goodbye," Ashton replies just as jovially.