20 | writhing in resentment

You're going to regret this.

"I CAN'T WAIT to see my studio," Ria gushes

"I CAN'T WAIT to see my studio," Ria gushes. "I wonder how big it'll be." She can see herself now, sitting in her own studio for hours upon hours. Spending countless days creating a million pieces and hanging her photography along every untouched surface.

Ashton slips one hand into hers. The other grips her steering wheel as he drives them home. "Hopefully, it'll be close to mine so I can make little visits."

Ria smirks. "Little visits? To do what?"

"Check on your technique. Help with your form."

"Mhm. My form."

Ashton glances away from the road to give her a toothy smile. "I'm gonna need to find new ways to fill you up. Your inventory, I mean."

"I'm sure you'd love to assist me in that." She squeezes his hand and watches the traffic parting ahead of them. "Thanks to you, I'm one step closer to reaching my dreams."

"I didn't really do much. I just helped you uncover what was already inside you."

Flames tease the outline of her heart. "I love your confidence in me."

"I believe you can create the cosmos" — he raises her knuckles to his lips — "with these beautiful hands of yours."

She rests her head on his shoulder and closes her eyes, allowing his affection to lull her. "You're one of the few people who really want to see my dreams come true." An unbearable weight drops on her chest. "Maybe reaching the stars is possible."

Ashton squeezes her fingers. "If you reach the stars, I want to see it. I want to be there with you."

Her lungs constrict. She glances down at their joined hands and suppresses a smile.

He's really going to make this hard for me.

They pull up to her apartment and step into a light drizzle. Her hair begins to frizz under the moist air and she rubs her chilled arms.

"I hope I left some clothes over," Ashton mumbles, ushering her inside. "I haven't been over for a while."

"Trust me, my apartment is starting to look like we both live here." She hesitates as they climb up the stairs and throws him a dubious look over her shoulder. "You know, I haven't been to your place. You should let me sleep over for once."

"I..." His eyes shift over Ria's head. "That's not a good idea. It's not...clean."

"So clean it."

He continues to avoid her gaze and clears his throat. "I-I will. For now, I like your apartment. It's comfortable."

She narrows her eyes but doesn't press him. Someone is a terrible liar. "Fine, but I want to be invited over sometime."

"You will. I promise."