Seema stood beside his swivel chair awaiting his response. When he didn't say anything and was in deep thought staring at the coffee, Seema again instigated him, "Salman?"

Startled, Salman reverted his attention back to the laptop. Hands on the keyboard, he mumbled, "You go with her Ammi."

Seema gently touched his shoulder, "Beta she needs you not me at that moment. It would be a special moment for both of you."

His hands curled into fists over the keyboard, "No Ammi please. I don't want anything to do with her."

"How long will this go on? Forgive Salman. Allah loves those who are forgiving." Seema again reminded him.

He looked the other way, "Ammi please."

"Fine," she muttered and was walking out of the room when Salman's voice stopped her, "Ammi give her this."

Grabbing his wallet he took out all the Euro bills he had and placed them on her hand.

Seema raised a single eyebrow inquisitively.

"She doesn't have any money. I was worrying how she is managing going and coming back from classes."

Seema folded her arms in front of her, "Why don't you give her yourself?"

He shrugged nonchalantly, although he was at unease, "It's the same thing, whether you give her or I do."

Her eyes narrowed, "Did you even speak to her since all this divorce?"

His jaw clenched, "I ... I ..."

"Just as I thought." Shaking her head in disappointment, Seema pressed, "Salman I expect much more than what you are doing."

Saying that she left the room.

He leaned back in his chair, his head resting against it.

Life had become so difficult. Until recently, he was so sure of everything but now he wasn't anymore...

****
"Nawal Ahmed," the midwife called.

Nawal head rose from the pregnant women magazine she was reading. Handing the magazine to Seema, she stood up to follow the midwife.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Seema asked.

Nawal shook her head, "I will be fine."

The midwife smiled pleasantly, "Hello Nawal, I am Caroline. I will be your midwife for today. Why don't we go in the room?"

"Hi." Nawal followed the midwife into the room.

"Your first check-up looks into the medical history, family history and so on. But before we go into that part why don't I check your weight and blood pressure." Caroline instructed.

And so began the check-up. It was during the questions Caroline asked that Nawal stumbled on one of them.

"You are married, right?" Caroline asked as she typed the information.

Nawal was quiet for a moment. Would she be married after a few months? She didn't know. If only her arrogant husband listened to her once. There weren't many opportunities to talk. In fact none. She had given up completely. Now all her matters lied with Allah. She depended solely on her Creator. She didn't have any hopes, expectations. She was prepared for the worst.

"Yes," she whispered and added silently, for now at least.

Caroline nodded, "Was this a planned pregnancy?"

"No not really."

"Hmm... okay now about your medical history."

The questions came one after the other until it was time for the scan. "Today we will do just a date scan to determine exactly when the baby is due. You can go to the Ultrasound unit and the midwife will call you out. Good Luck with your pregnancy"