Chapter Two

And he did. Every time there was a fight, Sirius would storm out the front door of his house, running to his new friend. She listened and tried to console him as best as she could without speech, and most of the time, her little sounds of sadness and concern did help.

However, today he came for a different reason. Sirius walked up to the waters edge and dipped his fingers below the surface. A few feet away, Kalesi popped out of the water, but at the sight of Sirius's smile, she became confused.

"Hey Nimi," Sirius said, using the nickname he had given her, which she hated so much. "How are you today?" The girl clicked her tongue, each click and hum belonging to a certain letter. Morse code. 

Sirius had brought a book to the water's edge with him for a week, and together they had learned morse code as best as they could, so she could communicate with him. Lonely, she had said.

"I know, I'm sorry I haven't visited in so long, but we were getting my supplies," Sirius consoled, sitting down on the ground. Nimaine leaned onto a large rock in front of him, resting her head on her arms. "I wish you could visit Diagon Alley, its so cool!"

And off he went, explaining all the shops and items he got. He pulled out his wand and showed her each of the grooves and marks, telling her what it was made of and how it felt to get it. As he spoke his eyes lit up with excitement.

She knew he was excited to go to this school. He'd be away from his family, away from the troubles of everything, except he was positive he'd be in Slytherin. He disliked that house, mainly because his entire family was in it.

He wanted to be different, he didn't want to comply to his family's tradition. Nimaine didn't want that for him either. In fact, she didn't want him to go, she'd miss him, but she knew it was selfish of her, so she never said anything.

"I'll write to you," he said, bringing Nimaine back to the present. "I won't forget about you. My parents will probably bug me a lot more while I'm gone. I'll need someone to complain to!"

Nimaine giggled, splashing his pants with water, her tongue clicking wildly. Who else could stand to hear your complaining? 

"Say that again? I didn't catch the last three words." She repeated the last word slowly, and he got it in a moment. "Ah, right." Sirius smiled at her, but the smile was soon ruined when a call could be heard. Sirius's name was called out by a female voice, sounding quite strict. "Ugh, mother."

Sirius quickly gave Nimaine a hug. "I'll be leaving tomorrow, so don't worry if I don't show up." Nimaine pushed him lightly, telling him to get moving before he got in even more trouble. And so he did, running towards the voice. 

A few days later something dipped below the surface of the water, Sirius's call for her. She poked her head out of the water, spying a small, grey, northern white-faced owl, and in it's beak? A letter. Kalesi reached her hand out towards the owl, surprised it didn't flinch or fly off when she came near.

It dropped the letter in her hand, standing on the rock she usually rested her arms on. She opened the letter with excitement, recognizing the handwriting on the letter.

Dear Nimi,

Sorry, were you expecting some other nickname? Nimai, perhaps? Oh well. I like it.

I'm not in Slytherin! I got into Gryffindor, and you won't believe how happy I am about that! My mom sent me a Howler, saying how I disappointed the family and that I brought shame onto the Black family name. 

Oh well, what do they know? They're just a bunch of people that want to be that way, so let them be that way. Won't affect me, nope. I've met some people here. There's this boy that James and I, you remember James right? I told you his family is the one that holds those Christmas parties.

Anyway, James and I sat with this boy on the train. He was really kind, and he kind of reminded me of you in a way. Shy, possibly reserved. Could probably kill me if he wanted to, he'd have the advantage of being quiet and looking weak.

His name is Remus Lupin, kind of cool huh? I'm writing this early in the morning before class on the first day, so send a letter back as soon as possible! The owl should stay until you write your letter. I included a quill with ink, so you could write on the back of this one. 

Keep the quill and ink, I have more.

Your friend and most favorite person in the whole world,

Sirius