Chapter Sixteen

Halloween. The night of spooks and frights, and a night of fun games, candy and tricks. Nimaine sat in her river, waiting for a few kids. She had never gotten to talk to them before, because she couldn't speak.

Now, she had paper. She could write down what she wanted to say to them when they asked her questions, and the thought made her giddy with happiness.

Somewhere else, sat the Marauders, and Ara, as they planned a prank for the Halloween Feast. Remus had tried to get James and Sirius to leave Ara out of it, but Sirius had forced her to come with them.

To the Great Hall they went, wands in hand as they bewitched the Jack-O-Lanterns to sing God Rest Ye, Merry Hippogriffs at the end of the meal. Ara actually seemed to be enjoying watching as they tried to get them all in sync.

The feast began, and the little kids began trick-or-treating, and Nimaine met many little ones. They asked her questions, like, "Are you a real mermaid?" and "Don't you get cold?" While she did her best to answer them.

The Great Hall was filled with spooky music as the students ate, and conversations were enjoyed. The candy for desert and the pumpkin pie were to die for, as were the many puddings and other pies.

Sirius pocketed probably 30 pieces of candy to send to Nimi later that night, while Ara kept glancing up at the pumpkins, waiting for them to start singing at any moment.

Nimaine did tricks and gave hugs to older kids who were around her age. She sang songs for the little ones who were only six or seven, and gave them shells from the river instead of candy.

Even if it wasn't something they could eat, they seemed grateful for them as they picked up the shells that shined like diamonds in the moonlight. They would run back to their parents before a new group of children would come forward.

At the end of the feast, it seemed the pumpkins exploded, making Ara fall off her seat, and Sirius laugh at her embarrassment. Each of the pumpkins in the Great Hall launched into verse after verse of God Rest Ye, Merry Hippogriffs, making the students laugh and smile.

Professor McGonagall knew exactly who did it, but when she saw Professor Dumbledore humming along she couldn't help but smile and sing along to the song.

God rest ye, merry Hippogriffs,

Let nothing you dismay.

For many ones will keep you safe

Upon this Christmas Day.

And save you from those who are rude,

whose minds have gone astray,

O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,

Oh tidings of comfort and joy.

The song rang throughout the town as  witches and wizards alike sang the lyrics, muggles singing the muggle version. Telling the end to Halloween night, and bringing the start of the Holidays.

Even though Thanksgiving was to come first, everyone in the small town where Nimai's river lay seemed to sing the song as loud as they could, each of the Jack-O-Lanterns in the windows being put out, and the candy being brought in.

God rest ye, merry house elves,

Let nothing you dismay.

You'll stay inside your houses

Upon this Christmas Day.

You'll work as much as you could want,

And you'll never ever stray,

O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy, 

Oh tidings of comfort and joy.

Soon, the whole Great Hall, even the Slytherins, were singing the song. Pushing and joking around, friends tried to outdo one another, singing outrageous notes and loud lyrics.

Ara hummed quietly, enjoying the lovely feeling, while the Marauders sang loudly, excluding Peter and Remus from singing too loud, proving to everyone that they had done this.

God rest ye, acromantulas,

Let nothing you dismay,

No basilisk will scare you off

Upon this Christmas day

We'll save you all from those who say

You should be sent away.

O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,

"Oh, tidings of comfort and joy," Nimaine sang, the sound from the town cutting off almost instantly as the song ended. Nimi looked up at the stars, looking for the one that Sirius had pointed out.

"You see that star right there?" Sirius asked, pointing to a very bright star in the sky. "That's the brightest star in the night sky. That's the star I was named after.

"It's Sirius A, or the Dog Star. It outshines all the actual stars, and it's only outshone by planets. The name itself means "glowing" in Greek, so that's pretty cool." Sirius continued looking up at the sky, naming off all the stars and moons he could as Nimaine listened.

She soon found the one star that was shining brightest, and very quietly she tapped in morse code, "Glowing Sirius."

Sirius found himself not falling asleep as he sat in the Common Room, listening to one of the singing shells Nimi had given him. He slowly found himself remembering something from over the summer.

My name is actually spelt the way Mermaids spell it. I gave you the human spelling. If it were spelled another way, like Nemane, it would mean Queen, or ruler. But because of the way my name is spelt, in the mermaid language, it means "Lady of the Lake." Nimaine wrote on the paper.

Sirius laughed, falling off the rock he sat on as he did. Nimaine frowned at him, hitting him on the shoulder as he laughed. "I'm sorry, that's just... It's too funny not to laugh at, because Lady's something you'd name a dog, and I'm named after the Dog Star.

"I just found it funny that we became friends, who just happen to have names like that."

Sirius tapped quietly on his leg, listening to the words of the song as he quickly tapped out, "Lady Nimaine."

A/N: that was so freaking cheesy but I love it