19. MISSED YOU

WITHOUT THINKING, I had pushed the doctor next to her and grabbed her face, my lips crashing down on hers. It took her a while to actually respond to it but soon, I found myself leaning on to her touch on my face, her thumb caressing my cheek. As our lips parted, she gave me a soft smile—one that melted my heart. "Hi."

My lips twitched and for a second, I wasn't sure if I was going to cry or laugh, or both. "Hi. I did miss you."

"Okay, lovebirds," Dr. Housten had placed her hand on my shoulder, making me take a step back so she could stand in between us. She gave her a soft smile before continuing, "We've got to keep getting handsy to a minimum. We can't risk your heart, remember? We'll have to keep you in for a week, make sure the surgery really went well and there isn't any left damage from the wound you sustained."

She nodded. Awake. She's finally awake.

I winked at her before turning to Dr. Housten with seriousness. "But so far, she's okay? She's good?"

She nodded. "Yes, so far she's good." Then, she faced her. "You'll have to be prepped for a follow-up CT scan and MRI and if we see nothing wrong, you're in the clear and free to leave tomorrow after we've discussed medications and follow-up checkups. Do you remember what we've talked about?"

"Nausea, pain, and discomfort is normal," she reiterated. "I'm going to feel tired more than usual for several weeks because of the surgery and I shouldn't tire myself out. So, no extensive exercises or any other kind of exercises until you give me the go."

I'll have to talk to Dr. Housten later and ask what medications they were giving her and what certain things I should when she gets discharged and get to go home.

"Good," she uttered and glanced towards the nurse on the other side of my bed. He looks about maybe my age, maybe a little older, but definitely fit. He's wearing deep blue scrubs that emphasized his blue eyes, a stethoscope around his neck, and a nameplate on the pocket of his shirt.

Adam Gomez, Registered Nurse

He nodded towards Sam as a greeting, a sly smile on his face. "Hi, I'm going to be helping you while you're here, make sure everything's okay."

Definitely not too happy with this nurse. He'll positively try something on Sam.

That cannot happen.

Rolling my eyes, I gazed at Sam who was just giving me that knowing smirk of hers when she found something funny. "I'm going to call everyone. Tell them you're awake, alright?"

She nodded. "Can you have them bring Gabriel too?"

"Of course."

Walking out, I dialed in Sean's number first, knowing that he should learn first that her sister was finally awake after these past couple days of having everyone so worried about her.

We talked for a while, telling him to bring Gabriel with them as per her request and they said that he was going to get off work early and call Adriana, make sure that they would be here tonight. Then, I called Alex and he had said that he'll be here soon, he just needed to fix a few things. After that, I sent a text out to the guys, having our group message still named "best men".

We came up with it, telling ourselves that we would be each other's best man no matter one, when we were teenagers. Now, it had stuck and we still kept our promise of being best friends with one another.