9. AN EXPLOSION

We all sat at my dinner table, my eyes trained on Alex who was holding a pair of tweezers with the surgical suture in it from one of my first-aid kits. It was a good thing that I've set up kits all around the house, closer to grab whenever it was needed. Even Gabriel's bedroom and bathroom has them just in case they're needed.

"This is insane," Travis spoke first, shaking his head disapprovingly. He sat in front of us, surrounded by Edward and Henry by his side. "We need to go to the hospital. You've just been shot, Sammy."

"No hospitals," I replied, my head already feeling light from the blood loss. "We're medically trained to treat any kind of wounds unless it's massive and that's when we'll go back to the building where we have a hospital wing and can be treated by our own."

The second Alex pierced my skin, my hand grabbed the closest thing I could which was Polly's hand beside me. She had just gotten in right after us, obviously tired from running and jumping through roofs. We've never gotten along, but it was a good thing she did when she gripped my hand the same way I did, letting me place my pain onto her hand.

My teeth gritted, body feeling like it was swaying from the air. "Fuck! Just—will somebody talk about what the hell happened there? Keep me distracted and at the same time, we try to solve what we can right now."

"He was situated at three houses from where I was, west side, I took a shot at him, managed to hit his calf but whoever this was, he was equipped with feeling pain because by the way he ran, it was like there wasn't anything lodged there. So I don't have anything except this," Polly pulled out the shell and the bullet covered with my blood from the pocket of her slacks. "From what I can tell, it's a .22 caliber rimfire ammunition."

"That means what?" Edward questioned, brows knitted together.

Polly was always the expert on guns, she had an interest on knowing what kind bullets are used for hand guns, rifles, shotguns, pistols, etcetera. It was a trait of her that we found useful whenever we needed to identify the guns that were used.

"It means that we're screwed," She answered, sighing in disappointment. "I didn't get a good look what kind of rifle he was holding but this tells us that it came from a .22 Long Rifle. Finding whoever this was, is going to take a long time because it is by far commonly used in hunting, target shooting, or even for self-defense. Even we have a lot of this in the building. We're not going to know anything unless we're able to get the gun itself and check for prints."

"He's smart, then," Henry commented. "He knows that we don't have the luxury of time to search for every possible leads and we don't have any clue on wherever—"

My eyes were getting heavy as much as I tried to keep them open. I could feel my skin as Alex tied the first bullet hole close and Henry's voice was fading in and out. I couldn't focus well no matter how I tried to.

"One more," Alex said to me, eyes glancing at me for a second before another clean needle pierced my skin. I couldn't help but gasp, tightening my hold on Polly. She didn't say anything, or maybe I didn't hear her. I couldn't tell now. "You're lucky the bullet passed through without damaging any important nerves."

"Right, so what do we do now?" Henry asked, raising a brow.

"That isn't even the right question," Edward provided, causing for us to stare at him. "The question was that why would he shoot Agent Alexander?"

Travis nodded, agreeing with him. "You're right. If he's so adamant in killing me, why not just shoot me when Sam walked away?"

"The other question is why shoot her in the arm?" Alex provided, continuing in sewing the wound closed. "Agent Peters said so herself, hunting gun, and we already know it's professional. The second that she pulled Travis down and covered him, why not just shoot her in the head? If he wanted to hurt him so badly, isn't killing the person that he thinks Travis is in love with would do a considerable amount of damage?"