Vampiric Fantasy

Vampire (Dracula, Nosferatu, sexy youth)

This subgenre originally belonged to the 'horror' category, and much of it still fits there; however many newer tales overlap with the 'romance' and 'young adult' genres, so these tales now better fit the 'fantasy' section. Based in ancient myth, primarily from Romania, vampire stories have been popular for more than a century.

Dracula type stories began with Bram Stoker's 1897 novel of that name. It's been filmed countless times, and launched the whole trope of vampires as (at least in their on-screen depictions) debonaire, attractive men with a very dark secret.

Nosferatu type stories were popularized by FW Murnau's 1922 film of that name, featuring an ugly and repulsive (if wealthy) Count Orlock. There are numerous spinoffs and imitators. (The movie was itself a direct ripoff of Dracula, but distinct in this major regard.)

Youth vampire tales often, but not always, overlap with the 'young adult' and 'romance' genres, and also with the 'urban fantasy' subgenre. Young, or immortally youthful, vampiric (and other supernatural) characters get into serious relationships with mortals. Such tales have become very popular, beginning with Fran Rubel Kuzui's 1992 film Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Joss Whedon's namesake TV series, as well as the popular Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. Countless books, movies, and TV series have followed, including Charlaine Harris's "True Blood" franchise.

(In general, each author creates his-or-her own rules, as to a vampire's lifestyle, abilities, and weaknesses.)