Chapter Twenty Nine

He aims for the deer but misses again. Frustrated, he throws down his bow and arrows and lays on the ground covering his face with his hands.

"You know, you should try relaxing your arm when you pull back the arrow. It gives more impact for the kill and gives you a better focus on your target." Says Mia. She releases her arrow and lands it right in the deer's side.

He looks up to confirm that she ia truly back and pulls her to the ground with him hugging her happily. "Thank goodness you are back. You have no idea how this place has been without you." He says.

She smiles at him and wriggles free of his hold. "It is good to be back. Now, let us go back." She says.

"Very well. You have to tell me all about your escapades later." He says slipping an arm around her waist.

"You!" Yells queen May. "You are the cause of this kingdom's ruin!" She adds walking hurriedly towards her and slaps her.

Everyone suddenly falls silent as she continues on. "Why did you come to this family? What is your purpose?" She asks now throttling her as Mia stands her ground calmly. All this while, Edgar had been calling his mother repeatedly.

He pulls her away from Mia's throat and turns her to face him. "Mother stop!" He says.

"Don't you see that this..this..thing is trying to get you into her bed so that she can destroy our kingdom?" Says May.

"I will be proud to tell you that I am the one who indulges her and I will continue to because I love her!" He says.

At that moment she slaps him fiercely. "Choose your words carefully Edgar! You cannot choose this gutter girl for the position in my place. I will not accept!" She adds.

"If you do not accept her then that means you do not accept me." He says and turns his back to leave.

"Edgar! Edgar!" She calls out shaking with anger.

"Leave her be May. What good will it do you to hate her like this?" Says William.

"I will not be insulted like this Will. I refuse!" She says.

William then holds her close and whispers in her ear, "Do not forget where you once were as well. I will not tolerate such behavior. What kind of a queen do you show yourself to be?" He adds.

She then looks at him wounded by his word. "When the heart wants, you can never stop it my dear." He says walking away.

***
"My apologies for my mother." Says Edgar leading her to her chambers. "Soon, the world will know whom I choose." He adds.

"That is not important right now. We are at war. There is no telling what will happen next." Says Mia. "From now on, I need you to be careful and to cease talking about us until all this is over." She says.

He takes her hand and pulls her close to him. "Am I that ugly my little mouse?" He asks grinning sheepishly.

"Aye. Even worse than a pig blockhead." Answers Mia.

He then takes her by surprise and removes his shirt then places her palms on his chest. "Am I ugly now?" He asks shortening the distance between them so that they are inches apart.

"I could say repulsive..." she starts then gets silenced as he claims her lips. He had missed her even though she was only gone seven days. He never wanted her to leave again. He lifts her and at the same time closes the chambers door.