Chapter Six

"I'm so bored! When did you say she would return?" Asks the prince.

"She is due to return in a few days your highness. Please, do come out of your gloomy chambers and eat something." Begs the queen's help.

"Alright. I will eat a piece of cake and that it is." He replies.

The queen's help furrows her brows in frustration then, Mia comes to her rescue.
"I believe the queen will have my head if you don't have your supper. So give the old lady some relief and stop being stubborn." She says.

He cocks a brow at her before breaking into a run to chase her. Ofcourse, she would have to indulge him or endure the queen's scathing remarks of her peasantry.

She races across the garden and stops at the fountain panting and holding her knees before she is grabbed and pinned to the ground.

"You never told me you left and neither did you when you returned." He says while atop her.

"I am a maid not a messenger blockhead." She rolls her eyes at him and pushes him off her. "Now, your supper..." She sees the queen from the corner of her eyes and curtsies not wanting her to suspect anything. Faking a smile she says to him, "Your highness."

He hated how his mother intimidated all the helps in the palace but could not do anything about it.

"I presume the reason why the prince looks like a pig is your doing little servant girl." Says the queen.

"Mother! I did this of my own accord! Don't blame her..." He tries to defend.

"Silence Edgar." Turning to Mia, "well? Is it not?"

"It is your majesty. I am terribly sorry." she says.

"Well you better. Now, take care of this atrocity and let it not repeat." Noticing she is still curtsying, "you may rise and take your leave."

"Thankyou majesty." She replies. When the queen leaves, "This is not over blockhead." She tells the prince who sticks out his tongue at her.

***
She finishes washing his clothes and squeezing them dry, she puts them in a basket. Just as she is about to climb the hill, she trips and falls. Cursing at her clumsiness, she wipes herself off and notices that the clothes have fallen in the dirt.

"Oi, I am done for." She says picking up the clothes and going back to the river. Just as she is about to start washing again, she feels someone tug at the robes.

"Let me help." Says the prince.

"You? How do I know you don't want me to get in more trouble? Besides, you need to disappear before you get caught with me." She says snatching the robes from him.

He sits there watching her at work, careful not to tear the silk. After finishing, she picks up the basket and takes a deep breath then starts climbing the hill again.

Just as she trips and is about to fall again, he catches her and the basket. For a brief moment, they hold each other's gaze before she feels her cheeks turning pink and frees herself from his grasp."Thankyou." She says while turning away and hurrying into the courtyard.

He smiles at himself, trying to comprehend what had just taken place or rather, what had held him in place.

I bet you are catching onto the plot of the story. Don't forget to drop a comment and like! See you in the next chapter!