Chapter 35: You're Everything I've Wanted

My fingers wrap around the slender stem of the rose and that's when I notice I forgot to remove a thorn because I prick my finger. While I wait for someone to answer the door to the hectic Cunningham household, I use my keys to get it off. Now the thorn free rose won't be so much of a problem.

Finally, the door swings open and I'm greeted by Jaylen with Joey settled on his hip. They both smile at me. "So this is what Jasper's been getting ready for," Jaylen says. "He'll be down in a minute."

I step inside and thank him.

"You look pretty," Joey says quietly.

I smile. "Thank you, Joey."

The navy blue dress I'm wearing hugs my body. It's sleeveless, covered in intricate lace, and stops in the middle of my thigh. The weather is nice tonight, only holding a small breeze for December in Florida. I made sure to bring a cardigan if I get too cold.

"Joey's going to be a lady's man," Jaylen comments. "He'll obviously take after me."

I roll my eyes. "I can only hope he doesn't take after you."

Joey giggles. "I wanna be like Jathper."

Jaylen groans. "No, this is not what we talked about, Joey. You don't wanna be like Jasper, do you?"

"Of course he does," Jane says as she walks down the stairs with her twin following. "Why would he want to be like you, Jay?"

"Because I'm awesome," he retorts. "Who doesn't want to be like me?"

I point to the small blond kid hanging on his hip. "Joey."

Next comes Mary and Jacob from the kitchen. They both smile when they notice me standing there. "You look beautiful," Mary says and takes Joey from Jaylen. "Where's Jasper? Is he really going to make her wait?"

"I think he's nervous," Jayda murmurs.

"Jasper? Nervous? Since when?" Jaylen says sarcastically.

Jacob shakes his head. "Stop teasing your brother for five seconds."

Instead of saying anything, I start for the stairs and pass the twins. They give me reassuring smiles as I walk up. Down the hall, I find Jasper's room with the door closed. I step up and lightly knock.

"Go away, Jaylen!"

I knock again, hoping he gets the hint. "It's your girlfriend," I call back.

His footsteps echo across the floor until I can see his shadow on the floor below. He opens the door, surprised to see me standing there. "I didn't know you were here yet."

Jasper's dressed in a white button up shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and jeans. Casual, but so damn attractive.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, taking a step closer.

He nods.

I close the distance between us and reach for his hand. Lifting it, I press the stem of the rose to his fingers. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he says softly, letting his fingers wrap around the stem.

I don't repeat Jayda's words about him being nervous, instead I say, "This is from my garden."

The corner of his mouth perks up. "Thank you." He lets his free hand brush the velvety tips of the petals. "Something else to remind me of you."