Chapter 33: Weird Places To Make Out

Song: Door Without A Key by Real Friends

"Shaking in the driver's seat
Staring at the dashboard
I'm holding myself back
While you're trying to break me open
I'm holding myself back
While you're trying to break me open
Please just stay."

------------

         "Did you just get out of school?" Jasper asks over the phone.

            I open my car door and throw my bag in. "Yeah," I breathe. "Got out early after my exam. What time's your break?"

            "Umm..." He pauses, I'm guessing to check the time. "In about fifteen minutes."

            "Good. I'll be there in ten."

            "Can't wait," he replies. "I'll see you soon. Kent's glaring at me again."

            I laugh and get inside my car. "Just tell him he's going to get wrinkles."

            Jasper breathes a laugh. "Don't think he'd appreciate it too much. Just sit at your normal booth and I'll bring you fries."

            My smile spreads. "I'll see you in a few."

            After I hang up, I start the car and leave the school parking lot. The quicker, the better. If I have to be there any longer than I have to, I might explode.

            On my way to Jenny's, I get stuck in minor traffic, but make it in about twenty minutes. The only thing I grab is the book I'm currently reading and make my way inside the diner. I spot Jasper's head at my normal booth and walk over. "Hey." I smile.

            Jasper looks up and then stands. "You're late," he teases.

            I slip into the booth and Jasper sits next to me again. "I got stuck in traffic," I tell him. "Forgot what time it was when I was driving over."

            He slides the fries over towards me. "I just got them, so they're still hot," he says. "Do you want a drink?"

            I take a fry and start to nod, but stop. "You're not working."          

            He grins at me and jerks his thumb towards Kent. "He is." Then he waves him over, but Kent doesn't look amused. "A vanilla milkshake please. Oh, and extra sprinkles."

            "This better be for her," he says.

            "Maybe I just like a lot of sprinkles," Jasper retorts.

            Kent rolls his eyes. "It'll be a few minutes." He looks to me and waves before turning on his heels and walking away.

            "You guys are so mean to each other," I say and eat a fry.

            Jasper chuckles and leans back. "No harm done. He actually wants to hang out this weekend. After months of working together, he finally sees how awesome I am."

            I shake my head. "Whatever helps you sleep at night, Jas."

            A few minutes pass and Kent comes back with my milkshake. I thank him and then he's off again to another table. There are plenty of colorful sprinkles on top of the whipped cream and two cherries. Everyone that's taken my order, already knows my love for cherries and sprinkles. Or my bad eating habits.

            "Are you busy tomorrow?" Jasper asks and steals a few fries.

            I swallow the bite I took and shake my head. "What did you have in mind?"