Keeper

I woke up to soft humming. I look around the room and see Joanna walking busily around.

She was humming happily, but she looked so sad.

"Joanna, baby, what's wrong?" I asked.

She quickly looked around and gasped when she saw me.

"Charlie! What are you doing here?" She asked looking around.

I gave a confused face. "Where are we?" I asked.

"I'm at my house, and you're here too", she said.

"Your house? But...." I trailed off.

"Shhhh.... Be quiet. If Marshall hears you, he'll.... I don't even know", she said with fear in her eyes.

My eyes narrowed. "Marshall? Why is he here?"

She pointed to her finger. It held a beautiful big ring. Then I looked down at my own finger. It was empty.

"Wha... What's happening?" I asked, starting to sweat.

"Are you okay? Are you high? Here, have some water", she said, handing me a cup. I took a sip, but whatever was in it wasn't water.

I set it down. "You're... You're married to Marshall?" I asked fearfully.

She laughed. "Yeah. You were invited to my wedding. But you were at a car show or something".

I tried to remember, but couldn't. In fact, I found I couldn't remember anything. Then how did I remember her and Marshall?

"I hate car shows", I randomly said.

She laughed even harder. "Then why'd you go?"

"I'm..... I'm scared. You're scaring me", I said.

She suddenly ran over to me. "He's coming. Please.... Please protect me", she begged.

Then Marshall came in with a knife.

Suddenly, Joanna was right next to him. He grabbed her arm and raised the knife.

She looked at me desperately for help. She started screaming and trying to escape. "Charlie! Charlie! Help! Help me! Please! Help me!" She cried desperately.

I tried to move, but couldn't. I was stuck, watching him stab her in the back over and over again. She screamed my name the whole time. I tried to look away, but all I could hear was her screaming, terrified voice.

I slowly faded out of the room and felt numb. I still heard her desperate scream of terror ringing in my ears.

I woke up in my bed. In my apartment. I looked beside me. The bed was empty. I was drenched in sweat.

"Joanna! Joanna! Where are you? Joanna!" I yelled looking around. "Please! Please! I'm sorry! Joanna!"

I heard fast footsteps. The door burst open and Joanna ran in.

"What's wrong, baby?" She asked running to me.

My heart skipped a beat or two.

"Where were you?" I asked, trying to grab her hand.

"I was getting a glass of water", she said, perplexed.

I grabbed her tight and squeezed her to my chest. I ran my vibrating and unsteady hands through her soft hair.

I noticed I was crying. "Don't leave me", I sobbed, and buried my face in her neck.

She brought her eyes to my face. "Are you okay? Are you sick? You're so sweaty".