So Close to Almost Friends

It had been three weeks since I moved in, and I still hadn't completely set up. So I designated a day and I made myself clean. I pushed everything around and put them in their spots.

Now the couch. I had not been thinking when I bought that couch. It was cheap, so I did. And it took two men to carry it up here.

I pushed on it and it barely budged. I tried for ten minutes until I felt so hopeless, I started crying. I know, pathetic. But if you had spent the whole day cleaning and you were sweaty and tired, I'm sure you'd be a bundle of joy.

And then I thought. No. I refuse. I won't. No one can make me. That would give too much. But what else was I supposed to do? Leave this couch in the middle of my apartment?

I tossed the thought over for at least fifteen minutes before swallowing my pride and walking out.

I walked over and knocked on the door, shamefully.

I knew I was crying, but I was helpless. I hated to admit it, but I did need him at the moment.

He opened the door. At first, he was smiling, then he noticed I was crying.

And to my total surprise, he grabbed me and hugged me tight.

I was so shocked, I didn't even pull away.

Charlie's POV
I cleared my throat and awkwardly pulled away. I guess it was just my natural instinct.

"I'm sorry..." I stuttered," Whats wrong?"

She looked up at me hopelessly. She hesitated for a moment.

"I can't move my couch", she admitted.

I smiled on the inside. I had to admit, she was adorable.

"And?" I prompted, wanting the satisfaction of her needing me.

"This isn't easy for me", she sniffled," I need your help".

I smiled. "Now, lets go get you cleaned up".

She nodded and we walked to her apartment.

She washed her face and came back out, hanging her head in shame.

Joanna's POV
I hated myself for being weak in front of him. And for a stupid reason. But he knew I was upset, and he didn't hang it over my head and tease me.

It made me wonder, deep inside, did he still care? Even a little?

We both grabbed a side of the couch and braced ourselves. We lifted it up. I looked like I was dying. He looked so effortless.

We carried it over. "Here", I wheezed.

Just as we were about to gently set it down, I got a glimpse of his muscle, as he was straining to lift the weight that I lacked.

"Oh my..." I started to let out.

Then I lost grip of the couch and dropped it.

He cried out. I saw the couch on his foot.

"Lift it up!" He breathed.

I could tell he was in a lot of pain. I tried to lift it back up, but I felt even weaker than before.

Finally, I lifted it up enough for him to slip his foot out.

He fell down. I rushed over. He was breathing heavily and his face was red.

"Oh god! I'm so sorry!" I sat down in front of him," Do you need anything?"

"Some ice", he choked.

I rushed to the freezer an grabbed some ice. I put it on his swelling foot.

"Is it broken? Are you okay?" I asked, freaking out.

He clenched his teeth. "I'm fine".

"Are you sure? Do you need to go to the hospital?"

He shook his head.

"Help me up", he said.

I felt so guilty, I felt sick. He didn't seem too frantic, but I sure did. I know that if it had been me, I would be demanding to be driven to the hospital. But I had very low pain tolerance. And besides, he was a man.

I grabbed his arm and wrapped it around my neck.

He stood up and hopped on one foot while I did my best to support him.

"Just take me to my apartment", he said.

"No. I need to take you to the hospital. I think it's broken".

He looked me in the eyes. "No. I'm not going to the hospital. Ill be fine."

"But...." I started to protest, but he stopped me.

I groaned and gave in.

I helped him into his apartment and brought him to his bed. He laid down and sighed.

"I'm so so sorry, Charlie. I didn't...."

He smiled. "Joanna, are you crying?"

I wiped my hand across my face. It was true. I was. I couldn't stand others being in pain when all I could do was watch.

I shoved him."What? I'm emotional!"

He laughed. "Such a crybaby."

I laughed through my tears. "Do you need anything else?"

"No. Ill be fine."

I nodded and got up.

I got him some more ice and walked out.

It was weird. For a second, we didn't hate each other. We weren't at each others throats.Our goal wasn't to outdo one another.

And I felt a spark. Not anything extreme, but for a second, I felt like we were almost friends. But I shook it off. I still hated him. He ruined my life.

But I guess I did owe him a little kindness for dropping a couch on his foot.

I still vowed to show him how strong I was, obviously not physically.