Scared Of An Angel

I slowly opened my eyes. One, because they were heavy. Two, I was afraid of what I might see.

Once I opened them, I realized I wasn't in my apartment. I froze. No. It wasn't a dream.

Where am I? I inwardly panicked. All I wanted was to be safe in my own bed again.

Then I heard footsteps. I shut my eyes tight and hoped this would all be over. I would open them and be safe once again.

After I heard the footsteps leave, I dared to open my eyes. I couldn't see anything except the ceiling.

I slowly sat up. The pain throughout my body caused me to whimper. I heard the footsteps coming back. Oh no.

Just then, I took in my surroundings. I hadn't processed them until I heard the door open.

The relief in my body was unexplainable. "Ch... Charlie?" I sniffled.

He walked over to me and sat down. He didn't say anything.

"I was so... So scared. I didn't know where I was.. I was scared", I said, tears threatening at the edge of my eyes.

He just nodded. I couldn't make out whether he was crying or not.

Then he reached out his hand and stroked my cheek. I felt a small tingling. It was the place where he had slapped me.

He just stared at it.

"Charlie...." I began.

He interrupted me ,"I never wanted to hurt you".

I was trying to figure out his words. "Charlie, it's okay. I was crossing my boundaries. I..."

"No. Don't defend me for what I did.... I... I would never hurt you... I wouldn't... You know that, right?"

I looked into his eyes. And for the first time, the door was left wide open.

I nodded. "I know".

He removed his hand from my face. "I should've been there", he said, obviously angry at himself.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

He looked into my eyes. "Last night... I should've been there".

I reached out my hand and lifted up his face. "Don't you dare blame yourself. You were there."

He shook his head. "No, I wasn't. I went out to go look for you later that night. I couldn't sleep. But I couldn't find you. I got a call from the landlord saying the police had found the key in your purse after they caught the guy. And he knew that we knew each other. So I went and picked you up..... I... I'm sorry.... I wasn't there."

If he wasn't crying before, he was definitely closer now.

"Charlie. But you're here now. And that matters".

"What did he do to you?" He asked.

"What?" I asked.

"What did that man do to you? Did he touch you?" He asked, almost spitting the words.

I looked down. "I don't... I don't know. I can't remember."

"What is wrong with me?" He asked, standing up.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, sitting up straight.

"You should've left the day you came here", he said.

"Charlie, what's going on?"

"Look at me! I'm a mess! Why did I let you stay here? I should've packed your bags for you! You don't deserve this. You deserve so much better. See what I did to you?" He yelled.

"Charlie! What's gotten into you? You need to stop being so hard on yourself! I could've very well left that day, and I was going to".

"Then why didn't you?" He asked.

"Because I knew I would regret it. Last night was not your fault. I overreacted and went too far".

"That's just it! You didn't go too far! You went just as far as I did! By why is This so hard? Why can't I open up to you?" He pleaded.

"I... I don't know", I admitted, for I had asked myself the same question.

"Joanna! That's it! I can't take it anymore! I can't watch you in pain any longer! When this is all over, you need to leave".

He started to walk out. I tried to get up, but my left side of my body collapsed in pain. I fell down.

He quickly turned around and came to me.

He picked me up bridal style and placed me back on the bed. "Are you okay?" He asked, inspecting my body.

I nodded with my eyes closed, trying to ignore the pain.

"Talk to me", he ordered, trying to put me in a comfortable position.

"I'm... Fine", I groaned.

"Just stay here", he ordered, walking towards the door.

"Wait". I softly called. But he heard it and turned around.

"What is it?"

"Will you stay with me?" I begged.

He nodded and came over. I patted beside me.

He walked over and got in bed beside me.

He pulled the covers over himself and came closer to me.

I snuggled myself against him and laid my head on his chest. He gently wrapped his arm around me.

And slowly, I drifted off to sleep.

Charlie's POV
I watched her pain filled body slowly relax as she drifted off to sleep. It was so hard to watch her suffer like this.

I still couldn't believe I had hit her. I had promised myself and her four years ago that I would never hurt her. And I still meant it.

Then why was I so at war with myself? Why couldn't I forget the feelings I once had for her?

I guess I was just scared. Scared of caring about someone again. Scared of the way she made me feel. Scared of this little angel. The one who was as innocent and beautiful as could be.

It made me clinch my fist when I thought of another man touching her. Touching her in ways that would make me want to destroy his life. Touching her in ways that made her shiver and cowar.

Even if she didn't know it, she still held a place in my heart I could never remove her from. Once you feel a certain way, you can never go back. If only I had known that four years ago.

Hey! Hope you all liked this! Last chapter only hit two likes. Like whhhhaaaaaattttttt? That's why I waited so long to post this. Please vote and comment! Love you!