Again

He chuckled. "Come on".

I laughed. "This is so stupid."

He just laughed again.

"We always embarrass ourselves", I added.

"Hey, that's what we do best. Guess its just our thing."

I nodded, even though he was ahead of me.

We went to a sketch old gas station to blow our money on junk and watch movies. It was a Friday night, we had nothing to do, and we were lonely.

The cashier gave us judging glances as he scanned our items.

Charlie just kept a straight face and I was behind him, giggling. I put my arms around his waist and smiled into his back.

Lately, we had spent every spare moment with each other. We just couldn't get enough.

If we weren't at his apartment being dumb, we were at mine being dumb. If we weren't at mine being dumb, we were out in public being dumb.

And we just loved it.

We grabbed our stuff and went back to his apartment, laughing.

We sat there for a while. And I didn't mind. Because just sitting therefore him even gave me that special feeling.

And I had felt it ever since he had kissed me at the wedding. I knew that I wanted him to be mine again.

I had let myself be swallowed back into this careless, juvenile world. The one where I just did, without even considering the consequences.

Like driving a car so fast that we knew would crash at the speed that we were going.

But I wasn't afraid of the explosion.

I had let myself love him again.

We cracked open our loot and ate, staring at nothing ahead of us.

"So.... Keith... He seems like a nice guy. How long have you guys been...."

I started laughing. He looked confused.

"I'm gonna stop you there. There's no Keith and I. We aren't, never were, and never will be", I clarified.

He nodded and I thought I almost saw him smile.

And then I dared to say something. I don't know why I did. I just did.

"What about Diane?" I asked.

His eyes shot to me. Then, noticing his sudden reaction, he relaxed.

"What about her?" He asked.

"You know what I mean. How'd you guys come about?"

"Theres no Diane and I. We aren't, never were, and never will be", he said, mocking me.

"I know better than that. I want to know the truth."

"We weren't what she thought", he said.

"Well, what did she think you were?" I asked.

"Together".

"And you weren't?"

"It's complicated."

I sighed. "And when is it not?"

"Now", he said, looking at me.

I guess I didn't process his words. So I continued.

"Please tell me", I begged.

He looked at me for a minute, then took pity. "Ah fine. Okay. So when I first moved here, a few months after.... You know - us. She was the only one who seemed to care about me. She introduced me to all of her friends, and they took me in. We were the best of friends, Diane and I. And we really had something, at least I thought. But I didn't realize that I wasn't ready yet. I wasn't ready for another relationship after we ended. So when things started to get more serious, I crashed. And then it was over".