Chapter 23- Swap It Out

"I don't think I deserve all this negative press. I've worked my ass off to get where I am and my hard work doesn't stop here."~ Justin Bieber

The days turn into weeks as the time begins to fly by. My schedule is packed between rehearsals, dates with Bruce and avoiding Justin. However, the last one doesn't seem to be that hard. I have barely seen Justin around the house lately and whenever I do see him he gives me a nod in acknowledgment before heading towards his room or his small studio inside of the house. He is barely ever home and part of me thinks it's because he is trying to avoid me. I try not to dwell on it but it is so hard. Ever since our almost-kiss everything feels so awkward and there is tension whenever I am around him. It took me a while to get over it but I just couldn't stop feeling guilty so I confessed to Bruce and to my surprise he burst out laughing. He told me that I was 'just too innocent'. I still think he was slightly crazy that day.

After a nice long shower to wash off today's dirt I head downstairs and help set up for dinner. I set out the plate mats. I go to grab the plates and to my surprise there are three plates. I turn to Pattie. "Are you expecting a friend for dinner? If you were I would have worn something nicer to dinner." I look down at my sweats and plain tee while biting my lip.

"Huh? What makes you say that darling?"

"There are three plates." Let me explain my theory. Just as I have explained Justin is barely ever home so dinnertimes have just been me and Pattie which has been really nice. We talk about everything and everything.

"Oh. No. Justin should be coming home for dinner today."

For some reason I can't answer to that so I just nod and continue with the task at hand. For some reason I am nervous about sitting with Justin at the table. It means we will have to talk and we all know how awkward that will be after you know... I want to groan at how complicated all of this is. Damn me and my hormones!

Not long later the front door slams and Justin’s voice echoes through the maze of the house. Pattie calls for him and it takes just under a minute before he joins us. He walks over to his mom and kisses her cheek. As always he nods at me before excusing himself. I let out a shaky breath and Pattie notices this and turns to face me with concern all over her face. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am fine. Just a bit tired." I give her a weak smile and her eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"Amber... If you ever need someone to talk to I am always going to be here and you know you always have Justin as well. We would give anything for you, all you have to do is ask." She embraces me into a hug and I sink into it.

Pattie has this motherly aura around her and it makes me feel calm. She has always been like a second mother to me. I contemplate whether or not to tell her about what happened with Justin just over three weeks ago. I mean she can help me right? Give me some advice? I pull back and open my mouth but before I can even say anything Justin re-appears having changed his clothes. As always he looks good in his sweats and black t-shirt. I shake my head of all my thoughts, instead I walk over to the sink and wash my hands before taking a seat at the table.