Chapter two: Reuniting

Start from the beginning

“She’s right here ma’am.” she pauses yet again before turning around and giving me her back.

“Right away ma’am and have a good day Mrs. Evans.” turning around she shoots me a sympathetic look, before stretching out her hand with the phone.

“Your mother wishes to speak to you Miss Evans.” nodding my head I take hold of the cell phone, pressing it lightly to my ear, I speak.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hello darling. How are you?”

“Fine. you?”

“Speak up I can’t hear you. You know how I feel about mumbling.”

“I said I’m good, how about you?”

“Oh good...soo?”

“Soo...what?”

“Care to explain why I just had the house maid calling me saying that there was someone in your room, and that when Natasha called the school they said you weren’t there, only for Mayella to find that it was indeed you in your room, at home, four hours before school finishes... soo what are you doing home so early?”

“The school let me off."

“Really? So that’s why the school headmistress said she wasn’t sure about your whereabouts and will send a couple of staff to look for you in the area. What are you doing home so early young lady?”

“I, umm well I thought I was going to have an asthma attack so I decided to go home and-“

“Asthma attack? Dee did you take your puffer?”

“Yes.”

There's silence on the other side of the line, before mum speaks again, to someone else though.

“Just give me two minutes and I’ll be in there, don't let them hold up the meeting anymore have them start without me... now where was I, Dee you still there?”

“Yes mum.”

“Good, now go to mayella and ask her put your nebulizer on, and make sure she puts the right medicine in for you okay?”

“Yes.”

I sense the uneasiness, while she sighs numerous times.

“Well I have to get going, but make sure you call during the week I miss hearing your voice.”

“I will.”

“Promise?”

“I’ll try.”

“I guess that’s the best I’ll get, I’ll see you soon, bye and I love you sweetie.”

“Bye.” shutting the phone close I think I heard her sigh one last time; it seems that’s all everyone does around me.

“I cooked your favourite meal today zuppa di vongole and for desert Tiramisu!” Mayella places the plate of clams in front of me, while I give her a nod of appreciation.

“Thankyou.”

“No worries dear.” smoothing down my hair she sends me one last smile before placing a plate before a disgusted Natasha.

“Are we like having an all Italian dinner?” Tash plays around with her food.

“Yes Natasha we are, now eat up, I thought you liked Italian, Delilah does.”

Shooting Mayella a blank look, Natasha points towards me with her fork.

“Of course she likes Italian Mayella, she’s like half Italian. Which reminds me of a question i've been wandering about since our parents married, but never asked. how come your surnames not Italian May?”