Holding On (Pt. 1)

The Trolls couldn't be more excited for the Annual Dance Fight Championship. While every other Troll took their seats, the opponents were warming up and receiving encouragement from their friends.
“I don't know if I can do this!" Guy Diamond panicked.
“Yes, you can!" Biggie assured him. “You're a fantastic dancer."
“And you're a living disco ball," Cooper added. “Which is why you're going to outshine her!"
Then, they heard a bell ringing. It was time.
“Knock em dead, buddy!" Cooper said as Guy Diamond headed for the stadium.

Poppy and Branch took their place at the booth and Poppy spoke through a megaphone.
“Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the 63rd Annual Dance Fight Championship! Eight weeks ago, 25 Trolls tried out to challenge our champion, and one has literally outshone the rest. Give it up for Guy...... Diamond!"
Guy Diamond strutted onto the dancefloor and blew kisses at a group of girls... only for one of them to throw popcorn in his face.
“Guy Diamond seems pretty confident, but it may not be enough to take down our five-time defending champion. Here's Moxie........ Dewdrop!"
The bright pink Troll made her way towards Guy Diamond and struck a pose. The glitter Troll felt even more nervous.
“Alright! One.. two-- Ow!--... three... Dance!"
“Poppy, are you okay?" Branch asked his wife.
“I'm fine," Poppy lied. She felt a sharp pain in her stomach, but decided to shrug it off.
DJ Suki played the music, and Moxie and Guy Diamond danced as everyone else watched.

“Look at Moxie go with her signature move, the Razzle Dazzle! But look! Guy Diamond's Glitter Slide is extra glittery!"
Suddenly, an airhorn blared, signalling the competition was finally over. Moxie and Guy Diamond stopped dancing and looked up at the booth. The judges made their decision, and Branch gave Poppy an envelope.
“And our winner of the 63rd Annual Dance Fight Championship is..."
Poppy opened the envelope, read it and... She collapsed.
“Poppy!" Branch exclaimed. The rest of the Trolls were stunned. Forgetting all about the competition, the two opponents rushed up to help.
“Queen Poppy, are you alright?" Moxie asked.
“I'm fine, I'm fine," Poppy whimpered. “Just a little..."
“I'm taking you to a doctor," Branch said. He picked up his wife and hurried off.
The Trolls were in silence for a couple minutes. They only felt deeply concerned for their queen.
“So, who won?" Cooper asked without thinking.

🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

Branch, DJ Suki, and Smidge waited out in the hallway for twenty minutes. The girls were sitting down while Branch put his ear against the door. He couldn't hear what Dr. Plum was saying, however, because she was speaking too quietly. What he could hear was Poppy crying, and that made him worry.
“Boy, you shouldn't eavesdrop," DJ pointed out.
“I can't help it," Branch admitted. “That's my wife in there, and if something happened to her, I don't know what I'd do."
“King Branch?" Dr. Plum said, catching his attention. She was a purple Troll with bright yellow hair and band-aids sticking in it. She closed the door and approached the king.
“Is she okay?" Branch asked, worried.
“Yes... and no," the doctor muttered.
“‘Yes and no?' What does that mean?" Suki asked.
Plum sighed and explained it to them.
“Poppy's pregnant, but her body is giving off a negative reaction. There's only a five percent chance she'll be able to carry the baby to full term. I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do to help her. I must go, a glitter Troll with a broken butt needs my help."
Dr. Plum left without another word. DJ Suki, Smidge, and Branch were in shock.
Breaking the silence, DJ turned to Branch and said, “You should talk to her."
Branch looked at the door and quietly made his way past it. When he saw Poppy's face, his heart ached. Her face was covered in tears and most of her color was drained from her body. She looked up at Branch, then down at her stomach.
“I'm sorry," she muttered.
“Poppy, you don't need to be sorry," Branch assured her.
“You don't understand," Poppy argued. “I always hoped I'd be a mom one day. That I'd have this large belly and weird cravings for pickles and ice cream. And after that, I'd hold a beautiful baby and watch it grow up, call me mama... But I can't."
“Poppy, we still have a chance," Branch said. He sat down next to his wife and kissed her forehead. She wrapped her arms around him as he sang in a soft voice.
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow's a mystery
I can see you looking back at me
Keep your eyes on me
Baby, keep your eyes on me...
Poppy was still depressed, but she felt a little better.
“I love you, Pop-tart," Branch whispered.
“I love you too, Branch."

If any of you want to know who won the dance fight... You'll never know. 😏

No, the quote “Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery" did not come from Kung Fu Panda. Or at least, not originally.

Oh wait, you guys don't care about that stuff. 😶
This will have a happy ending, I promise. Cross my heart in hope to cry.

Please leave a vote. Live long and prosper. 🖖