Trauma

“I'm sorry, Branch. I didn't want things to turn out this way..."

Branch woke up with a start. His heart was pounding and he felt that he could cry.
Branch was having the same nightmare for almost three nights now. A beautiful woman apologizing to him, before being pulled away by two large hands. Not nearly as big as a Bergen's, but big, and transparent. With long, claw-like fingers and he could feel how cold they were without even touching them.
Branch looked at a nearby clock. It was 2:27 in the morning. Better than last night, he thought. The night before, he woke up twice. The first time at 11:53, the other at 3:06. But he was most distressed while sleeping.
At first, Branch thought about talking to someone, but at where he was in his life, he should probably just shrug it off.

“Girls, I just don't get it," Poppy said to Satin and Chenille. They were having lunch together at a diner. “We've been together for almost a year, and he hasn't shut me out once."
“It's probably not that big a deal," Satin assured her. “He's probably just a little stressed."
“Satin, running out of glitter is ‘a little stressed,'" Poppy argued. “Branch is pale, and his hair is a little darker than usual. And everytime I've asked him about how he is, he says he's ‘fine.' One time, he even snapped at me."
“You think he might be sick?" Chenille asked.
“I don't know," Poppy replied. “But tonight, I'm going to find out."
With that, Poppy left.
“Who ordered the mango smoothie?" a waitress asked the twins.
“She left," they replied unanimously.

That night, while everyone else was sleeping, Poppy went to Branch's house. If he was having trouble sleeping, there had to be a reason.
“Branch?" she called out, knocking on the door. He wasn't answering, so she took out the key he gave her and unlocked the door.
“Branch?" Poppy whispered as she looked around. Suddenly, she heard something. It sounded like Branch, crying.
Poppy headed for Branch's bedroom and saw him twisting and turning in his sleep.
“No, please! Don't leave me!" Branch muttered.
“Branch, wake up!" Poppy exclaimed. She shook him till he woke up.
“Poppy...?" he gasped. “What... What are you doing here?"
“Branch, I need to know what's wrong," she said softly, brushing her fingers through his darkening hair.
Branch sighed. “Okay. I've been having the same nightmare for almost a week. In it, I see a woman being pulled away from me by two large hands, cold as ice. And she kept apologizing to me... I think it was my mom."
“What happened to her?" Poppy asked. “In real life?"
“My dad was eaten by a Bergen when I was a baby," he explained. “And my mom... she just left. Or at least, that's what Grandma told me."
“But if we were held captive, where could she possibly...?" Poppy thought for a minute before realizing what he meant. “Oh."
Branch covered his face with his hands and began to sob. Poppy hugged him tightly.
“I'm sorry, Branch," she whispered. “Is there anything I can do?"
“I don't know..." he whimpered. “I just wish she didn't leave me."
Poppy thought for a minute and said, “Well, you have me. And I will never, ever leave you."
Branch looked at her and smiled a little.
“How about I stay here tonight?" Poppy asked. Branch nodded. She climbed into his bed and wrapped her arms around his waist. As they cuddled, his hair regained its color. What came after that, however, Poppy did not expect.
“Poppy... Will you marry me?"
Poppy was shocked at first, but her surprise turned into joy and she whispered, “Of course."
With that, Branch's nightmare was finally gone.

Thanks for the request jamayanimals

Sorry if this was short. I was going to feature a different surprise, but then I felt it was too soon. Like Carrie Fisher's death.

May the Force be with you. 🌟