Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

What are we Doing?

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Tails rolled over, muttering something inaudible under his breath. He brought his hand down hard on the blaring alarm clock that was producing obnoxious sirens beside his bed, silencing it immediately. He yawned, stretching his arms out and rolled over, closing his eyes to block out the harsh, morning light.

"Tails, honey, how are you feeling? Do you think you are up for school this morning?" his mother called from downstairs. The scent of crispy bacon swirled up the spiraling staircase and wafted into the young fox's bedroom, capturing his attention. Tails licked his lips enthusiastically, jumping out of bed and running downstairs.

He sat at the table, chowing down on the many strips of bacon that his mother had prepared for the two of them. Tails took another big chomp of the blackened food and spoke in-between mouthfuls, "Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks, mum." He swallowed. There was no way he was missing school today. Neither was Sonic. They had to talk. This needed to be settled now. It was too crazy, too unbelievable. He shouldn't be feeling this way, and knew Sonic shouldn't either but he can't help but feel faint at barely the sight of his love. He was like a man possessed. Always waiting, following his love.

His mother sat down in the oak wood chair opposite him at the other end of the rectangular, mahogany table. She reached over to the marble top kitchen bench beside her and fiddled with the nobs on the home made radio that Tails had constructed for his mother's birthday last year. Static filled every inch of the room, straining the golden fox's ears before the sound of his high school principal's voice broke through.

"Attention all students and parents," the voice began, struggling to complete with the low droning of the static that was competing inside the speakers. "Due to the snow flurries and blizzards outside, school will be cancelled for the day. Have a nice rest and we will see you all first thing tomorrow morning. That is all." The voice ceased and static wrestled back to control again. His mother turned it off, the sound of the instant buzzing causing her to shudder uncomfortably as static drifted back into all corners of the room.

Their community was situated in the south-east corner of Mobius and was one of the smaller communities of the land. Most people knew each other and there was only a population of about 50,000 people strewn about the town. Due to this, there was only three different primary schools and two high schools, one in the north and one in the south, so it wasn't unusual for the principal to address everyone over the radio.

"Since there is no school, maybe you'd like to invite Sonic over today and do some homework together?" his mother suggested, beaming her comforting and delighting smile at him. Tails nodded and ran upstairs eagerly. He grabbed his phone that lay haphazardly on his bedside table and punched the digits that he had memorized into his phone to dial Sonic's number.

"Yeah?" Sonic's voice came through the receiver, sounding tired, annoyed and quiet. It was obvious to Tails that Sonic was frustrated that he had been woken up but was way too polite to tell his friend.

"Schools cancelled today," Tails muttered.

There was a moment of silence but Tails could seemingly hear the gigantic smile that had crossed the hedgehog's face delightedly.

"Don't sound so sad," Tails replied sarcastically when no response came. "Would you like to come over and spend the day at mine?" he questioned, forcing himself to make the words exit his mouth.

"I'll be right over," was the reply before Sonic hung up. Tail's rushed into his bathroom and wrenched the hot and cold shower handles to the left and waited for the calming water to cascade down. The anticipation was killing him but he knew he needed to wash himself and get ready so he wouldn't seem repulsive to his blue love.