Chapter 9- Grindlewald's Motives

Jacob, Queenie, Tina and Newt sat at the dining room table, talking. Jacob had been telling about his days working in his bakery and how much better it was then his old place in the canning factory.

"I don't know how I even survived in that place!" He said, putting some spaghetti in his mouth.

"Its great you have a nice place to work, I would hate working at a place I didn't like." Queenie said.

Newt stayed silent most of the time, listening to the conversation and eating. It was awesome that Jacob was back, particularly when Newt had spent about a year in London under the impression the would never see him again. He was never good at showing his happiness on the outside. In fact, he had a hard time expressing feelings in general, but he was extremely glad Jacob was back. It was like he was back form the dead. Newt's insides twisted at the sudden thought of Credence, the poor boy who he had failed at saving. He had never deserved to die, he was innocent, he had died in pain, and Newt never did a thing about it. He looked up, everyone had stopped talking and were looking at him strangely. He realized he had his fork up, and his hand was shaking slightly. He softly set it down.

"Is everything alright?" Tina asked, concerned written on her face.

"Yes. Why?"

"You looked, off. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, I was just thinking." He reassured her. She didn't look too convinced, but she went back to eating.

"So, is that Grindlewald guy still in jail?" Jacob asked. Tina shook her head.

"No" She wiped her mouth with a napkin "He escaped. Nobody was really surprised."

Jacob tensed slightly at the answer.

"Don't worry sweetie, he won't be coming around here" Queenie said.

"Do you know where he is?" Newt asked.

"Well, they suspect he's still hanging around New York, but he could be anywhere at this point. We haven't heard anything about missing people, sightings, not a thing. Its like he disappeared."

"You don't think he'll come here, do you?" Jacob asked, obviously worried.

"I wouldn't see a reason." Tina answered. Newt thought back to that necklace he had seen. It was still quite peculiar for him to be wearing such a thing.

"Tina, remember when we talked about that necklace he was wearing, from Tales of Beedle the Bard?"

Tina nodded.

"Would he happen to be after them? The Deathly Hallows?"

Tina stared at him as if the thought hadn't crossed her mind.

"You know, you might have something. But is that why he killed all those muggles?"

"I'm not sure. If he is a firm believer in that, why would he want them? Wouldn't he know if they were real, they would be impossible to find?"

"If he does want to find them, we wouldn't stop for anything to become the most powerful wizard. But he might not be after them at all." Newt said. Jacob looked incredibly confused.

"Tales of what? What are you guys talking about?" Tina decided to interpret.

"Its a child book in the wizarding world that includes this." He pointed a wand at her bag, and the book appeared and flew over to her, landing perfectly in her hands. She opened it and handed to Jacob. On the page had the drawing.

"Grindlewald gave Credence a necklace with this on it."

Jacob read through the story. After he was finished he handed it back to her.