Chapter 4. Unwieldy Situations

Tina and Newt, Apparated in front of a tall apartment building.

"Queenie's gonna be hysteric when she see's you" Stated Tina, opening the door for Newt.

"Its right up here to the left" She said behind his. Newt walked up the stairs, it was dark and cramped on the stairway, and there was a smell of must. Cobwebs littered everywhere.

"Mind the second to last step" Tina warned. Newt carefully avoided the step, which was snapped in half, he looked and saw a dark room below them. Tina read the look on Newts face.

"We can't fix it on account of the landlord, he'll notice, and he wants to fix it himself."

"Uh- are you sure this is safe?"

"No. The apartment itself is much better though." Tina said, unlocking the door. Newt quickly changed back to his normal appearance and walked in behind her.

"Queenie are you home?" Tina called out. After a beat there was a response.

"Yeah hold on!"

Newt looked at the room. To his right there was the kitchen, and to his left was a door, which was probably the bathroom. Just beyond the kitchen, across the counter was a table with 4 chairs. It was very rustic, with wood floors, and paneled walls, but it felt cozy. Newt sat his case down on the floor as he heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"What's going on Teen-" Queenie cut off as she saw Newt. Her face turned to pure delight.

"Mr. Scamander, what brings you back to New York?"

"Just came to visit."

"Well, make yourself at home, honey." She said, putting cups in the cupboards with her wand.

Newt suddenly realized one main thing he had to do, and it was also a huge reason he had come back .

"Oh, Tina,- I uh, I have something for you" Newt said handing her a book. It had a plain black cover. Tina stared for a second.

"You really wrote it?"

Newt smiled.

"It still needs some editing, and maybe a few more chapters."

Tina took the book and opened it, revealing a chapter about Centaurs. She looked through some pages reading bits of it.

"Wow. I've only heard of half of these creatures. You've seen these all?"

"Yes. Some were more difficult to approach than others, but yes, I've seen and studied each and every single one. The more endangered ones are the ones I keep, or ones that just need protection."

"What about the more dangerous ones?"

"Well, sometimes no matter how much research you do, or how much you know, animals can be unpredictable. Its more a live and learn type deal with some of them."

Tina imagined beasts like Swooping Evil or the Erumpent.

"Have they hurt you before?" Tina asked, curious.

"Definitely. Back at Hogwarts being me, I was sent to the hospital wing on multiple occasions, even sometimes out on the field even now. My brother has scars from battle, I have scars from doing what I love." Newt chuckled. Tina remembered his brother being mentioned before at MACUSA.

"Were you and your brother close?"

Tina let the question slip, but felt remorse after seeing Newts face change. It went from joy, most likely remembering his run ins with the creatures, to a slight sadness. He was obviously trying to hide It, but it shown through.