Chapter 15

CreekStep walked out of the Warrior Den towards the fresh-kill pile. She chose a vole that looked as if it was just set there. She picked it up to see BlueClaw watching her. Where her eye used to be looked healed and it was stitched up with some cobweb."I was just about to get that vole!" She said. "Sorry. We can share it." CreekStep smiled. The two friends walked over to a spot by a tree. CreekStep took a bite then let BlueClaw take one. It was their pattern.

When the two finished they heard MoonStar call "Every cat old enough to catch their own prey, join for a clan meeting." Every cat gathered around to see 2 cats on her highrock. The 2 cats looked very proud and nervous. What did we need to talk about? Thought CreekStep.

After every cat settled MoonStar began to speak."A few days ago we heard some exciting news. This warrior, OvalNose, and BrokenTooth have mated. OvalNose is expecting kits in about 5 weeks. Congratulations!". You could tell she was expecting because of her belly size. BlueClaw smiled and shook with delight. Why? CreekStep asked "Is that your sister?". BlueClaw responded "Yes but she is from the first litter. I was the second. We are very close. Sorry for not telling you about her...". BlueClaw dipped her head to show a sign of being sorry. CreekStep accepted. "You can all be dismissed." MoonStar announced. Every cat was happy about new kits. I hope OvalNose's kitting goes well, CreekStep thought. A lot of times it doesn't for SunClan (CreekStep's clan). And it was almost leaf bare. This needed to go well but it might not happen. She thought to herself.

CreekStep wondered into the forest lit by the moon light. She thought about her friend FireGlaze. She really liked him but wondered if he was near his border. She felt like she had some love for him. She liked her paws and decided to go see. Maybe a patrol wouldn't be out.

She hoped of the tree branches almost breaking her front paw. She opened her jaws to see if there were any patrols out. The only smell she got was a faint patrol from early afternoon today. She decided she would be safe. She wondered in the forest with an urge to see FireGlaze. Why is my body doing this?? She asked herself confused. She shook her head to stop thinking about. She scented his clan. She ran and jumped on the big oak that had fallen. She looked over to see him running over to the oak. FireGlaze!!!!! She thought. He jumped on the oak, the two cats touched noses in greeting. "Want to go to the river?" He smiled. "Yes! Of course." CreekStep responded. 

The two cats jumped off the oak and headed to the river. CreekStep looked over to FireGlaze. The smile on his face made her smile. She liked him on the ear and started to purr.

The cats reached the river and sat in the soft sand. They had known each other for at least 1 moon. The two cats started talking about their clan and friends. They both knew it was against the warrior code but they promised they would not tell their clan. CreekStep thought about OvalNose. "Will her kitting go well?" She thought. She looked over to FireGlaze who was looking down at the sand. "What's wrong?" CreekStep asked him. "I-I was thinking about if we could have kits...." He responded looking into her eyes. "What if the two clans don't approve!?" She asked sadly. "We wouldn't be able to keep it a secret! What will we do? They might kill us." She said scaredly. "We can run away!" He smiled. "CreekStep looked at him. "My friends... My kin." She meowed sadly. "Wouldn't you be sad too if you left your friends and kin!?" She added. "Probably not." He sighed. 

The cats looked into the river...sadly. "Do you want to leave?" FireGlaze asked. "I guess." CreekStep sighed. "When will we leave?" She asked. "I was thinking in about a week. So we can mate. When can we mate?" He asked. "Let's mate tomorrow please!" She pleaded. "Okay okay!!" He said happily. "Let's meet at the oak tomorrow and come here at sun-high." He said. "Okay! She said. I will make sure I don't go on a patrol or let patrols see me!" She responded.

The two cats headed back to the borders. "Bye!" FireGlaze purred. "Bye." CreekStep responded. The two touched noses and headed to their camp. Hopefully her clan didn't notice she was gone. She went to the warrior den to rest in her nest. She dozed off thinking about FireGlaze.