Chapter Four: In Another Life

Lauren didn't know how much she would enjoy spending time with Jade over the course of two weeks. Their moments mostly consisted of Jade talking about Miami and its people, while also sharing her stories of when she was still living in England. Lauren would do the listening and Jade would do the talking. Lauren was fond of Jade's stories from England, she appreciated Jade sharing memories with her mother, Norma, and the story behind Norma and Laura's friendship. She particularly enjoyed this because on occasion, her grandfather, Richard, would come up and Lauren couldn't help but cherish each story he was in.

Major Richard Michael Daniels, a name Lauren rarely heard anymore. It's not because he's not important, because, on the contrary, he is.

"He only really came up twice in a conversation I had with my dad," Lauren said faintly, her voice just above a whisper. "Dad said grandfather's death almost destroyed grandmama. Mentioning him would only open something she doesn't really want to be opened."

Jade listened intently as they walked around town, peacefully eyeing the exceptionally vivid view of the town's preserved nature. There was a pleasant breeze that accompanied their walk, as the two headed towards the town's old church.

"Dad was barely four-years-old when grandfather died. He doesn't remember him but grandmama made sure he knew his father even though it was hard for her to talk about him." Lauren paused for a moment and looked at Jade, a forlorn smile etched on her lips. "Imagine losing the love of your life and your best friend at the same time."

"Here I thought Lucille was Laura's greatest love." Jade's lips mirrored Lauren's.

"Well, grandmama loved abuela with all she got. But, abuela always told me that mama's greatest love was lost too soon. I only assume that would be my grandfather." Lauren said with a light nod, as she bit her lips and stared at the full picture of the big, old church. The two of them entered and quietly proceeded with their conversation.

"I'm sure he was a good man. My mother only told me great things about him." Jade replied as she kept her gaze at Lauren's direction. "But, I've done my share of stories. I'd love to hear more about you."

Lauren snickered as she turned her head to face Jade once more. "Am I really that interesting to you?" There was playfulness painting those wild green orbs that seemed to cast a spell on Jade, which truth be told, Jade grew fond of over the course of two weeks with Lauren.

"You look better when you're smiling," Jade said, as her cheeks replicated her maroon shirt. "And yes, Lauren, you are very interesting."

"I'd say finding you crying behind a tree and then pretending like nothing ever happened afterwards, is more interesting that I'll ever be." Lauren grinned and she felt entirely uplifted from seeing Jade's reaction.

"Not my finest moment, but I held myself together pretty well, don't you agree?" Jade laughed softly.

"I'd say you did," Lauren said back with another smile on her lips. She remembered their first conversation after their first meeting. They bonded over their losses and Lauren was thankful that Jade had the patience to deal with Lauren's limited use of words. It took three days before they really had a proper conversation together and Jade was more than willing to wait. "But if you really must know, I'm known to be very good with my hands."

There was a moment of silence between the two of them before Jade started to cry out of laughter. She stopped herself momentarily, wary of the few people sitting inside the church.

"Wait, no! That came out wrong!" Lauren exclaimed under her breath as she slaps her forehead with her palm.

"Out of everything you can tell me, you tell me that?" Jade asked in between her quiet laughter.