Chapter Three: An Uncertain Distant Future

A/N: *Disclaimer, before you start reading please know that this chapter involves blatant homophobia, sexism and racism. I know they are serious topics, but I wanted Metanoia to show realism, not to mention those subjects were heavily shunned in the 40s-50s. I know my writing would not totally give justice to these topics, but Metanoia is all about hope and love. I only wish to be able to deliver that properly. I hope to hear your thoughts on this chapter soon, thank you.

The morning after was a little less painful to Lauren, her grandmama was there to keep her company, Buddy too. It's been a while since she saw Buddy. Lauren was only ten-years-old when her father's dog, Buster, brought him at her grandmama's estate. But, when the family decided to come back from their trip to Miami to Los Angeles, the Jaureguis were forced to let Buddy stay with Laura and Buster.

It was also the last time Lauren saw Buster alive. She could vividly remember how her father sat her down in the kitchen and told her Buster passed away peacefully in his sleep.

Lauren shook the thoughts away. She was still reluctant to talk to anyone else, even Laura. What's the need of talking anyway? It's not like I'm going to be able to talk to my mom and dad again. 

She found herself frowning as she sat up and rubbed her eyes with her knuckles. Her morning began with Buddy greeting her with a bark. Buddy waggled his tail as he sat on the floor and looked up at Lauren. She had to admit that she missed the company of this dog. Lauren only has good memories with Buddy and she's thankful that he hasn't left her as well.

"Hey there, Buddy." She crouched down and started to pet him on his head. Buddy wasn't really a big dog, he's smaller than a normal Bernese Mountain dog. Well, as far as Lauren know that's the breed he fairly resembles.

She was just enjoying petting Buddy when out of nowhere he suddenly slipped out of her room, her bedroom door left ajar. Lauren doesn't remember leaving it open last night.

She sighed softly before finally standing up from her bed and decided to follow her small companion. Lauren was still in her pyjamas, hair slightly disheveled and her face bare of any cosmetics. When she reached the garden of the estate, the morning breeze sent chills all over her body.

However, a faint sound of what seemed like a girl's sobbing alerted Lauren. From where she was standing, it sounded as if she's not far from where the source is. After a couple of steps, Lauren found herself peeking from a tree and found herself staring at a girl. She was crouched down on the ground, her hands were clasped around her shoulder while her head was buried along her knees.

Lauren was sincerely concerned, but she didn't want to bother her and of course not while she was wearing her pyjamas. So, she decided to take a step back and leave the girl in peace. Maybe she won't notice me.

Crack!

Just then a twig snapped in half, Lauren shut her eyes and hoped that the girl didn't hear a thing, but she was wrong to think that.

"W-who are you?" Her voice quivered and by the sound of it, she had been crying for quite sometime.

There was only a faint groan that escaped Lauren's mouth. She opened her eyes and saw this stranger standing and staring at her, green and hazel meeting for the first time. Somehow, Lauren could feel as if they shared the same pain. It was then that her eyes noticed the girl's brownish blonde hair that curled around her chest, while her pale pink lips stood out the most. She's beautiful, very beautiful.

Jan 21st 1949 - Cabello Estate

It was around midday when a news around town was announced. The Cabello family were quietly eating their lunch when Shaun paid a visit. He told everyone that there was a sentencing about to occur in town, apparently it's about a coloured woman who tried to run away with the mayor's daughter.