Chapter 68: Signs

Start from the beginning

"That's okay.", Asami continued,"Here you have my application, CV and further attachments. May I ask you for a favour?"

"It depends on what you want."

"Korra asked me to ask you if you could...help us a little during the Harmonic Convergence?"

"I can't promise anything, Asami. But I will help as much as possible. You have my word."

"Thank you Iroh. I, we really appreciate your help. I will take your leave now."

"You are welcome...Asami...sorry again because of your application."

"It's fine. Really. I totally understand you and I'm happy that you think that way.", she smiled.

I chuckled:"So, I was your first crush huh?"

She looked up surprised at me because of the sudden change of the conversation and blushed:"Yes, you were. And I was really jealous of Saira when you two married, although I knew from beginning on that you two were dating."

"May I know why it was me?"

"Because you are a hero. You helped us so much that time and you still help so many people. You are so generous, humble and handsome. It's difficult not to like you.", she giggled,"But you chose Saira and she chose you. And I understand it. You two are like day and night, water and fire but you belong together. Saira always talked good about you and still does. She really loves you and I guess you too."

It was a bit too much information and I was overwhelmed by her words. I kept staring at her and Asami's mimic changed to a serious one.

"Anyway...how are you doing with Future Industries?"

"It's not doing that well. After what happened with...you know...my father, Future Industries has made a lot of losses. I don't how how to keep up. That's why Iapplied here. Because I wanted to help Republic City and my company."

"I'm sure everything will be better. You are very clever, you should show that off."

"Thank you Iroh, for your encouraging words."

"Any time. Just take care of yourself and get rid of that boy."

"Are you talking about Mako?"

"Yes, I do. It's not my business and I know I should keep my nose out of it but he is not the right one for you."

"You don't really like him, huh?"

"Well, I don't have anything against him. It's Saira who just can't get along with him. She asked me to tell you this in case I see you. You know how strong her mind games are so it would be better when you just stay friends."

"He's with Korra anyway."

I tried to imitate Saira's way of talking:"He doesn't deserve you, nor Korra. Actually, he doesn't deserve anyone."

Asami bursted out in laughs and couldn't stop laughing:"You are really bad at imitating your wife."

"Well, at least you know who I was trying to imitate.", I smiled.

"Yes, that's true. You two are right. I will consider your advices. Well, I need to leave now. See you."

"See you."

As Asami left, I frowned, looking at the paper mountains. I just hated this formalities. It always took me nights and days to finish this work. This was the boring part of my job. I preferred missions and adventures.
At some time of my boring work, I closed my eyes.

"Iroh! Iroh!", I heard someone whisper in my right ear. I turned my head and looked around but nobody was seen.
"Iroh! Follow me!", the mysterious voice ordered me. I did as she said and soon realized that it was Saira's. I walked down a dark floor, there was barely light. Suddenly I saw a white light at the end of the tunnel. Female screams were heard. Someone needed help! I ran as fast as my feet could carry me. When I reached, I stepped into a white room. Its light blended my eyes and they needed a few minutes to get used to the brightness. I looked around but couldn't see anyone. My eyes noticed red drops on the floor. I kneeled down and touched the drops to smell the liquid. It had an iron-like smell and I knew immediately that it was blood. I followed the blood path and tried not to step on the red liquid. The drops turned into smears. Someone was dragged along the floor. The smears turned into handprints and then into footprints. What was happening here? From far away, I could hear whispers and whines. Soon enough, I could see a thin, emaciated woman chained up. Her dress was torn and her body was whipped and injured. Her body was hanging from the ceiling, where the chains were coming from and capturing her hands. Her knees were touching the pool of blood, which was streaming from her. The woman was panting and I could hear her sob. I couldn't identify her because her hair was in front of her face. The view was horrifying. Whatever she has done, it must either have been a crime or she was punished for no reason, like many people were. I slowly approached her and she suddenly stopped breathing.
"Miss? Miss! What happened?", I asked and tried to unchain her.
Her head shot up and I gasped in shock. It was not anyone, it was Saira. And she looked horrible. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was cut and whipped. The blood was running down her face , she had tears in her eyes and started crying as she saw me. I immediately fell to my knees and took her face in my hands.
"Saira! Saira, what happened?", I panicked. She shook her head and kept crying.
"Saira! Why are you here? Who has done this to you? Speak to me! Please!"
"You must go! Please!"
"Saira, love. What are talking about?"
"They are after you! You must leave! Please!"
"I won't leave without you."
"No! Please! If they find you, they will kill you! Please leave, please!", she begged and cried harder,"I will be okay. I promise. Just save yourself, please!"
Suddenly I was pulled away, but nothing was behind me. Saira looked at me for the last time and smiled bravely before a mysterious person appeared behind her, I couldn't see what the person did next because they disappeared and and the screams continued.

"Iroh! Iroh, bro! Wake up man!"

I jerked and looked into Haku's blue eyes. It was all a dream? That couldn't be! It was so damn realistic as if it really happened. Her tears, the blood on my hands, everything. What did this nightmare mean? Was it a sign? If yes what did the nightmare want to tell me? All I knew was that Saira warned me. That someone was after me and that she had to bear the consequences for me. That she tried to protect me.

"Bro, you look really stressed. What happened?"

"Nothing. Tell me, what do you need?"

"It's past your working time and I wanted to ask if you were coming but you were sleeping and dude you looked really tensed while you slept."

"Never mind. Let's go."

I walked out of the HQ with Haku and was suddenly cold. Then I realized it was because I was sweating. I still couldn't get rid of the nightmare and its meaning. I just hoped that Saira was alright.