Chapter 39: Kill'em with kindness

Saira's P.O.V

After a few days I was released from the hospital fortunately. And I immediately noticed that something changed. Whatever Amon has done, it was good. I didn't feel any pain anymore and I could breathe normally.
When I reached home, I started cleaning because I needed to think of something else than Iroh.

After a few hours I was finally finished and sat on my desk to work on my project. The project was about little children who needed physical and mental health help since both were important. I wanted those children to be happy for a few hours at least. But I also need the United Force's help since boys and some girls loved the military. And for that I had to speak to Iroh. But since the event was months away, I still had a lot of time left.
Today I decided to meet Lu Ten and to spend a little bit time with him. My favourite football team, FC Ember Island was playing today and I had two tickets. Since Rin hated football and Iroh and I weren't together anymore, I decided to go with Lu Ten. I didn't know if he liked, no loved football as much as I did. My mother once adviced me to marry the man who liked the same football club as I did otherwise my husband wouldn't survive with me.
However I didn't plan to marry someone who hated my club anyway since it was a part of me.

I was the happiest person on earth when the match ended. My team won 6:2 against the Capitol, our rivals. I just loved football. There was so much passion in this game. I just couldn't describe it. Everytime I wasn't able to watch FC Ember Island play, I was shaking in fear they might loose. But they didn't. They disappointed me very rarely. And I was proud to day that I was a Culé because FC Ember Island was Mes Que Un Club, in Germanic it meant: FC Ember Island, more than a club. And it was true. It was more than a club, it was a family.

There were many languages in the Fire Nation. Especially Romanesque ((in our world it's Spanish, Portugese, French, Romanian, Italian and Mexican in the book, Romanesque is just Spanish and the other languages are just dialects)). But also Germanic was spoken ((in our world English, German, etc. but in the book, Germanic is just English)). But only in the Capitol and in Ember Island Germanic was spoken. But still every inhabitant of the Fire Nation could speak Romanesque and Germanic. That was a huge advantage for us because we also could communicate with people from other nations. In Republic City only Germanic was spoken.

Today was also the day, I had to give my first speech as a councillor in front of thousand people. I was thinking about the topic of my speech since I arrived in Republic City and I hoped that my speech would change something in Republic City. Even if it was in the smallest way.

Iroh's P.O.V

I walked through Omashu and found a Jasmine Dragon franchise. It was ironic since my great-grandfather Iroh invented it. As I sat down, the radio caught my attention. The speaker announced a speech, held by Saira. When I heard her name, I spilled the whole tea over the desk.

"A few days ago, I had a meeting with the leader of the Equalists, Mr Amon. Although we had different views, we had one opinion in common. This racism needs to end.

Ninety years ago, the Hundred Year War, started by the Fire Nation, was ended by Avatar Aang. He brought back peace in this world. Avatar Aang reunited us. He reunited the world and fought against hatred, racism and fascism! But he didn't do it with violence, although he didn't have any other chance sometimes! He did it with love and respect. Even when he defeated the late Fire Lord Ozai, he didn't end his life.
Years after the Hundred Year War His Majesty, Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang founded this wonderful nation. To let every everyone, no matter which ethnicity, religion, skin colour or abilities they have live together!

Today, the dream of His Majesty and Avatar Aang starts to fade.
Why are fighting each other based on our ethnicity and abilities?
We are all from one planet! We are one species!
I was told by Amon, that several of you, who are not able to bend, don't get any jobs.
You have to work, study and try hard to achieve your goal.
Don't take this nonsense as an excuse  because you can be everything you want when you try!

I have a wish. I have a wish that one day our children will live in this nation, without getting judged by their abilities.
Why do they have to pay for their little lives because we can't get along? Why do they have to experience his? Why do they have to live in a world of hatred? Why do we have to live in a world of hatred?

Look at the person next to you. Did he or she ever do anything to you? I doubt that. Or the people who are around you right now. You can't tell me, that every person, no matter if he or she is a bender or not a bender, harmed you!

When I first arrived to Republic City, I was impressed. I loved the atmosphere and I loved the diversity. I have fallen in love with this city. But soon I realized that Republic City was not the fairytale, I was told.
I have seen richness and poverty. I have seen love and hatred.

But that's what makes us stronger. This diversity brings us together! It unites us!

Don't let us repeat the mistakes our ancestors did!
Think about it! Forget your hatred and start to love! For the sake of this world, for the sake of yourself, for the sake of your partner and for the most important sake, for your children!

Because we're in this together!

Thank you for your attention.
Thank you for your attendance.
Thank you for caring about the people around you."

When the speech ended, an applause was heard.
I took in a deep breath and smiled. I was proud of Saira. Although I could hear how nervous she was, she tried everything to convince these people. It was something, she always fought against.  She wanted everyone to have equal rights.