Chapter 52: Reconciliation

Saira's P.O.V

It was the day, Iroh would ask my father for permission. I had no idea that Iroh didn't ask my father before proposing to me. His explanation was that he was afraid that my father would be against our wedding, so he asked me first, preventing my father from disagreeing.

We reached Ember Island and my while body was shaking. I was nervous as hell because my father was unpredictable. Iroh took my hand and kissed the back of it while helping me off the yacht. On our way home, my brother Taemin found us.

"Where have you two been? We have been waiting for oh!"

Taemin took my hand and eyed the ring on my finger. I could feel the heat rush to my cheeks. I didn't know why but I didn't feel well, or better said shy wearing this ring. It was awkward and I didn't like the attention my brother gave me. Taemin looked at the ring, then at me, then at Iroh and then back at the ring.

"Why didn't you tell me that you got engaged?!?"

"Believe me Taemin, if I knew earlier, I would have rushed to you. It happened just a few days ago."

"I can't believe that-"

"Can we please visit General Minho and Lady Kushina now? I think it's their right first to know what happened."

Taemin nodded and we went home. He opened the gate and let us in, yelling for our parents. Yup, that was definitely my brother. I hid the ring with my hand and smiled as I saw my parents. It have been almost three years now since I last saw them and they didn't change a bit. As daddy's little girl, I hugged my father first and kissed his hands, then I went over to my mother, doing the same gesture. My mother's hands wandered to mine, then to my ring.

"Where do you have this from?"

"Me, Lady Kushina. This is the reason why we have been away. I am here to ask for your daughter's hand and for your blessings, General Minho, Lady Kushina."

"What do you need us for, Iroh? You already proposed to my daughter. I cannot disagree now because you two already took the decision."

I stood next Iroh, frozen, my nails dug in his muscles. I knew my father would be mad but even I didn't know about Iroh's plans. Okay, I should have asked him to wait for my father's permission. My father's face went from angry to funny.

"You should have seen your faces! Kushina did you see their reactions? Especially yours Saira!", my father laughed.

What was happening? I couldn't believe that my father just pranked us. Iroh looked at me with a questioning look. I shrugged because I didn't know what to say. Soon my father stopped laughing.

"I would like to have a word with you, Iroh.", my father said and left, followed by Iroh, leaving me alone with my mother.

There was an awkward silence between us. We just stood there looking in different directions and avoiding each other.

"Are you proud of me now, mother?"

She raised head, shock written on her face. My mother got closet to me and put one hand on my cheek.

"I have always been proud of you, my rose.

"It didn't seem like you ever were."

"Saira, I know I have been strict, more to you than to your siblings-"

"Yeah, because they were so perfect. Especially Sarina. She was always the daughter you wished for, while you were forced to interact with me."

"How can you even think of that Saira? You are both my daughters, you are my firstborn. The difference between you and Sarina is, that she is a quiet girl. She needs this attention and motivation while you were always active. You always knew you how to make other people dance to your tunes, you always knew how to interact with others, while your sister doesn't. Sarina is shy outside of our family and friends. That's why I always praised her and you would do everything perfect anyway. You are mentally and physically stronger than your sister. I have always been proud of you Saira. Always."